From Land Rovers to Twinshock.....

Wandering Waif

Hello all,

Just a note to say Hi  

I've been involved with Land Rover trials in the West Country for many years (25+). We share some of our sites with bike trials clubs. I've finally taken the decision to jump over the fence, get a trials bike and have a go! 

For years I've fancied a TY175 but recently I've been researching Fantic 200s and now I'm torn between the two! I could do with something road registered because we have a lot of opportunities locally.  

I'm also trying to find a good club local to us (Wiltshire) who would run Twinshock events...... 

Any info would be appreciated, Thanks. 

The Yamaha TY 175 is a nice bike if you get one that’s in good order. Some get chopped about with steeper steering head angles, repositioned footrests and other stuff so do your research. When totally standard these bikes were tough little trials bikes and were non threatening in that the engine was not that powerful....a good one is a good starting point. Bit like comparing a Suzuki Jimmy to a Landrover swb. 

Now depending upon which Fantic you go for opens up a vast array of machinery, much of which is very good. Bearing in mind that engine sizes vary from 125cc, 156cc, for the most common and then the engine sizes go up slightly for the models so ignore what the sticker suggests ie 240 it’s not a 240cc Motor but a 212cc, there will be a Fantic owner probably correcting my knowledge. Fantics were good to go straight out of the box, but by now many will have been messed about with and altered to make them more competitive. I have to say that the TY 175 was good to go straight out of the crate too! I sold quite a few when I was a Yamaha Dealer, also converted a few to Majesty which might be your best bet if you have deep pockets. Either way you’ll get sound advice on this web site and you could give the classifieds on here a look....enjoy?

• Thanks 1

A stockish TY175 is a really good first trials bike and fun for pootling on green lanes too ... with a little seat time on any bike you will have context as to where you want to go next - I chose to modify my TY to make it into a more "serious" machine (it's a bit of a blank canvas for making your own bike), but selling and then getting a Fantic would be a good choice too ;)

Hello there and thank-you very much for your posts.

There is lots of good info in there and It's reassuring to know that I'm not barking up the wrong tree with the choice of bikes!! I'll be checking the classifieds and generally keeping my eyes open. I'm sure something will come along soon.....

Thanks again ?

• Like 1