Crank seals

Russ Bedford

Hi all..I'm after some advice regarding my Sherco 2.9 2004.

I just can't get her running properly,when I blip the throttle the bike dies..I even struggle to get it to stay running on tick-over.I've fiddled with the mixture and tick-over screws to no avail.

Up to yet I've checked the fuel,installed a new inline fuel filter,cleaned and oiled the air filter,had the carb ultra sound cleaned,all the jets cleaned,and checked the carb for leaks with wd40..someone has said it must be the crank seals..I've no idea how to check these so any advice would be much appreciated.!!

I'm going to the Ilse of Skye for a week at Xmas and I really want to take the bike with me,so I'm starting to get abit worried ?..Thanks..Russ.

Hi,thanks for the reply..

To be honest the bike had been stood for 3mnth in my hallway..I decided I'd better get it outside and fired up,but a few seconds  after turning the fuel on,the carb started leaking fuel,so I assumed the floats were either stuck or had leaked fuel inside..anyway after getting it back together and back on I started with the running problems.The new plug came today so I'll try it tomorrow night..one thing though,at work today it suddenly popped in my head to check the crankcase breather  pipe,which was blocked.I don't know if that will make any difference..

Your crankcase may be flooded in that case, this could also affect the plug. Kick it over plug out, fuel off, kill switch pushed. Give it a chance to dry out, then try with new plug. 

Your carb isn't one that you can put the floats in upside down ?

19 hours ago, Russ Bedford said:

No,I double checked I'd put the floats in correctly,pins to the bottom.

I'll follow your advice tomorrow night after work..I have to be careful with the bike because there's young kids next door and they go to bed Early..

That won’t stop them blasting your ears when they get a bit older and don’t go to bed early?

Hi,I've tried the bike with a new plug (gap .5mm) and it's no different..about 10 seconds after turning the choke off the bike wants to stall,regardless what you do with the tick-over screw.I have noticed though that when you rev it to keep it going it takes longer than normal for the revs to go down i.e the revs drop slowly..

Something like carb cleaner is better as more volatile. There are crank seals on both sides obviously, but as there is no excessive smoke you need to look at the flywheel side. Remove the cover and spray behind the flywheel onto / around the crankshaft.

Hi,just to update you..I've removed the flywheel cover and sprayed carb cleaner behind the flywheel as it was struggling to tick over,it seams to be the crank seal because as I sprayed the bike ticked over lovely but as soon as I stopped spraying it struggled and died..

Is the flywheel easy to remove? I assume I'd need a puller of some sort?