Footpeg Location

pmk

40 minutes ago, pmk said:

In regards to the yokes (tripleclamps), the 2” you mention, was that fork tube offset or bar position?  If bar position, was that 2” up or 2”” forward only with no height change?  I realize you said forward in the post.

Learning as much as possible.

2" forward approx. 

Have a look at this to illustrate footrest position changes over a relatively short period. http://www.motoswm.co.uk/models/models-2/

The svm at the end has the "wrong" position in 1984 !

( I think Mike Andrews is less than 6' tall btw)

Edited by b40rt

2 hours ago, pmk said:

On my bike, being resto mod it would certainly defeat keeping the theme of looking somewhat original, but no doubt would give mounting options.

Yes, the 7mm bolts that secure the bars, well mine currently remain 7s, but I may convert to 8s if need be.  What we have found, on EBay, are Honda 50 and clones Pitbike bar risers from China that can work.  Does require finding longer bolts though. I may simply find the bolts, get a few lengths, then fabricate risers from flat material.

Your setup certainly can be fine tuned.  Curious, when you stepped up to 8mm, did you install the HeliCoils for added strength, or was there another reason.

I used flat plate spacers under my standard MAR bar clamps to raise the standard bar mounts about 20mm and bought longer 7mm screws. The bars on it are replica KT250 bars and the footpegs are standard pegs in the standard location. I considered lowering the pegs instead of raising the bars but lowering the pegs on an MAR is problematic and I didn't want to have to repaint the frame (it is powder coated). I find it rides a treat with this setup so am not motivated to make changes.

43 minutes ago, feetupfun said:

I used flat plate spacers under my standard MAR bar clamps to raise the standard bar mounts about 20mm and bought longer 7mm screws. The bars on it are replica KT250 bars and the footpegs are standard pegs in the standard location. I considered lowering the pegs instead of raising the bars but lowering the pegs on an MAR is problematic and I didn't want to have to repaint the frame (it is powder coated). I find it rides a treat with this setup so am not motivated to make changes.

In the process of sourcing bar risers and 7mm bolts.  At a guess, I want the bars up a similar amount if only to bring them closer to stock MAR bars in the stock position.  No plans to redo my footpegs at this time.  I currently run KX pegs on stock frame mounts.

i am 5’10” tall with as some tell me stumpy short legs that are an inseam of 30”.  Can you share how tall you are for comparison on raising the bars.

Also, KT bars, any idea on how tall they are?

Footpegs willl be redone on my friends bike, and he does run bar risers as I mentioned before.

Edited by pmk

1 hour ago, b40rt said:

2" forward approx. 

Have a look at this to illustrate footrest position changes over a relatively short period. http://www.motoswm.co.uk/models/models-2/

The svm at the end has the "wrong" position in 1984 !

( I think Mike Andrews is less than 6' tall btw)

Appears they moved footpegs back and down, but also moved the bars back also?

When I asked about Micks height before, the numbers were all over the place.  

I don't think Mick is 5'10, more like 5'8 from my memory and this pic, I'm next to him and 5'7.  Last time I saw him he joked about  the footrests on TY Yams. He said they were so high because Japanese riders are so short.?

Mick Andrews.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pmk said:

Appears they moved footpegs back and down, but also moved the bars back also?

When I asked about Micks height before, the numbers were all over the place.  

The bikes pictured on Martin's site are as originally supplied, the blue one he rides has bars further forward.

15 hours ago, lineaway said:

It does not matter how tall you are, foot peg and handlebar position is all the same. Take a look at Dougie Lampkin`s bikes, nothing done for his height. Your body has a  proportional relationship between wingspan and height. Have you ever heard of short people raising the pegs? What is funny is tall people are lazy when it comes to bending their legs. If they would, the advantage they have over short riders is considerable. 

Much longer dabs!

9 hours ago, pmk said:

In the process of sourcing bar risers and 7mm bolts.  At a guess, I want the bars up a similar amount if only to bring them closer to stock MAR bars in the stock position.  No plans to redo my footpegs at this time.  I currently run KX pegs on stock frame mounts.

i am 5’10” tall with as some tell me stumpy short legs that are an inseam of 30”.  Can you share how tall you are for comparison on raising the bars.

Also, KT bars, any idea on how tall they are?

Footpegs willl be redone on my friends bike, and he does run bar risers as I mentioned before.

The KT bars were the highest trials bars I could find at the time and are slightly higher rise than modern 6" rise Renthals. Since then I have had a few sets of alloy handlebars custom made to replicate original 1970s trials bars. People sometimes comment that they look too high. Luckily there are plenty of historical photos around.

I'm 5' 10" with average length legs and arms for that height and if I was going to use modern 6" Renthals on my OSSA I would space the mounts about 25mm higher than standard as a starting point.

I will be interested to see how the footpeg lowering is accomplished on your friend's OSSA.

I'm 6' 3" and had no problem at all with riding position on Ossas, Montesas and Bultacos back in their era for the simple reason they had at least 8" high bars then... So although the footrests were relatively high in comparison to modern bikes, the riding position was ok. The bars now are much lower and I am bent over far too much with standard footrest position - and a lot older... So I lower them - and use bar risers

Back in the 70s on a 159 Bulto (pegs are quite low already on Sherpas so you can't lower them by much)

post-71-1136858416.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, feetupfun said:

I will be interested to see how the footpeg lowering is accomplished on your friend's OSSA.

One of mine - just lower, not back or forward.  I don't begin to understand any of that percentage gobbledygook....  sounds like over analysing to me...

PS - brackets are braced behind if they don't look strong enough

post-71-0-54710400-1389040693_thumb.jpg

Edited by woody
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, woody said:

One of mine - just lower, not back or forward.  I don't begin to understand any of that percentage gobbledygook....  sounds like over analysing to me...

PS - brackets are braced behind if they don't look strong enough

post-71-0-54710400-1389040693_thumb.jpg

Woody, any chance I can ask for a couple more photos of those peg mounts.  AND...how much bar riser do you install?  

Your words of down only is what was decided yesterday, seeing your photo indicates it is about at axle height based on a quick check today on his sister MAR.

being about the same height and experienced with the MAR for a while is a huge help.  As for all the numbers and math, sorry.  

2 hours ago, feetupfun said:

The KT bars were the highest trials bars I could find at the time and are slightly higher rise than modern 6" rise Renthals. Since then I have had a few sets of alloy handlebars custom made to replicate original 1970s trials bars. People sometimes comment that they look too high. Luckily there are plenty of historical photos around.

I'm 5' 10" with average length legs and arms for that height and if I was going to use modern 6" Renthals on my OSSA I would space the mounts about 25mm higher than standard as a starting point.

Been window shopping for bar risers for my own MAR.  If I can locate longer 7mm bolts, I have risers off a vintage KTM that are 1”.  Time will tell what I ultimately decide upon.

Edited by pmk
  • Like 2

Slight problem in that I can't post new photos stored on my PC - these were old photos I'd put on from years back and are already stored in TC somewhere.

You can see the forward/back positioning from the photo above (not saying it's correct but works fine for me)  and in terms of height they are just on spindle height. I was told by Mick Andrews years ago not to go any lower than that (at all, not just a MAR). I have two MARs and on one the riser is 10mm (just 10mm thick flat bar under the bottom bar mount) and on the other I don't have a riser as never got around to it. Both have 6" bars

Apico do a bar riser kit which I've used on some bikes and it gives between 20 and 40mm increase. The bolts with the kit are no use as they are 8 x 1.25mm

7mm are hard to find but I bought some from ebay, or maybe just found some from the net, can't remember now. Or maybe you could tap them out to 8 x 1mm fine thread as they are easier to find

• Like 1