Jotagas

Jotagas neil

Hi I'm new to trials and bought a 2012 jotagas.i drained the gearbox by Removing the Big plug in the bottom of the engine . Which I have since found out not to be the drain plug but something to do with the gear selector . Now on refitting the plug I have a lot of movement on the gear lever.... What a numpty ! The bike rode great before . Does anyone now the fix for this? Thank you

You probably removed the plug on the lower right side of the motor. This should have a copper washer fitted. The plug houses the gear selector index plunger: a spring and 12mm diameter ball bearing that pushes up against the shift cam plate. You may have lost the spring while undoing the plug. The old P/N is 8403155, not sure what the latest number would be. I can't remember if the bearing is captive or not, it not then you may have lost this also. Bye, Peter B.

The gear lever travel on a Jotagas is considerable, far more than on any other trials bike I've owned or ridden.  Provided your gear lever is still spring loaded and not limp and floppy it's probably normal.  Turning the back wheel by hand to help engagement (with a dead motor) can you get all the gears?

Edited by lowbrow

Try this....lay the bike on its side to give you the best access and line of sight to the selector detent plunger....the part you inadvertantly removed.....you are not alone in this, many people (who should know better) have performed this er cock up! Mainly car mechanics who think they know everything who sound very surprised when they realise they’ve just released the reverse gear idler pinion or mechanism.

What you are going to try and do is put your gear selector mechanism back to the position it was in before the aforementioned hiccup.

With the detent nut removed, carefully extract the spring and ball bearing. I am presuming that the gear box was in neutral at the time of causing the problem. Gently move the gear-lever up and ensuring that you can see into the hole vacated by the detent plunger, now move the lever down, only enough for you to register movement say no more than 4-5 mm. Now look carefully at the selector drum (the bit you could see inside moving). Push a small flat bladed screwdriver into the first recess on the selector you can see. Gently feel the movement on the gear-lever. If you move the lever you should feel some pressure on the screwdriver. Hold the lever in the mid position ( this where you felt the pressure on the screwdriver) now remove the screwdriver and look into the detent hole, you should be able to see the shift cam (selector cam) notch for neutral. Insert the bearing spring and detent retainer bolt with washer and tighten fully home. This ensures that you have everything back in place. Try the gear lever movement gently, if it is still excessive then you may have to gain access to the gear selector mechanism behind the casing where the gear lever shaft comes through. There was a problem with the two pins that sit in the cam, tiny metal particles ( the sort any gearbox generates) can make the pins sieze in and not do there job when a gear is being selected. This needs the pins freeing and the holes easing out as the tolerances were too tight. This is the cause of many owners saying that their bikes selector moves through a larger degree than normal on other makes of bike. Of course you may be lucky and find that it’s just the selector mechanism behind the case that has either broken the selector return spring or slipped it off the locating post. 

Either way if you study up on the workshop manual you ought to be able to figure out the fault. It was ok before so it can’t be that difficult. I hope my longish suggestion helps you rectify the fault....it’s always difficult to diagnose at a distance.??

• 5 years later...
On 11/23/2018 at 10:33 PM, Jotagas neil said:

Hi I'm new to trials and bought a 2012 jotagas.i drained the gearbox by Removing the Big plug in the bottom of the engine . Which I have since found out not to be the drain plug but something to do with the gear selector . Now on refitting the plug I have a lot of movement on the gear lever.... What a numpty ! The bike rode great before . Does anyone now the fix for this? Thank you

Hi I know it’s a while ago that you posted but I have the same problem with a 2014 jotagas as in loads of play in the gear selector .. how did you fix yours ? Thanks Paul 

13 hours ago, Paul1766 said:

Hi I know it’s a while ago that you posted but I have the same problem with a 2014 jotagas as in loads of play in the gear selector .. how did you fix yours ? Thanks Paul 

Jotagas neil last visited the site in January 2019 so you probably will not get a reply from him but the site member section swept explains in detail above the type of  fixes for the problem you are experiencing . if you cannot understand what he is explaining then it is probably best to take the bike to a trial motorcycle dealer and have them look at it. 

@Paul1766 The Jotagas is a copy of the GasGas Pro in many ways and therefore like the GasGas Pro the gear lever shift mechanism has a lot of movement before it actually shifts a gear by design so that if it gets knocked accidentally by your foot or by something that is protruding outward along side the gearbox as you ride past such as a thin branch then it has less chance of another gear being selected by accident as it gives a chance of a deflection of the object that touches the gear shifting lever. If all your gears select both up and down the box then you may not actually have a problem.

Edited by Tr1AL