1978 TY175 overhaul

sbest

Hi, I'm new here, new to trials, but not new to motorcycles. I ride mainly KTMs, however I overhauled a 1979 CanAm 250 last winter. 

Image may contain: people sitting, motorcycle and outdoor

I use the term "Overhauled" because I have no intentions of a complete restoration at this time. I just want it safely ride-able. 

So I picked up a non-running 1978 TY175:

Image may contain: motorcycle and outdoor

It is in fair shape, complete, but with a few problems. 

Image may contain: motorcycle

• Carb floods out and bike will not start due to flooded condition 
  • No air filter,  ordered on Partzilla
  • Oil pump off, but it does have the split cable, I ordered a single cable
  • matching engine# and I have a 1979 frame as well, no other spares
  • My switches are banged up, button broken. Haven't started, don't know if work
  • The pipe and silencer are very heavy, I suspect carboned up. 
  • Tank is very rusty inside
  • Chain and sprockets are shot
  • No front shock damping at all, spring only
  • Tires are hard and weathercracked but hold air!
  • As I dig I find wrong and stripped fasteners, loose stuff, 

So far I have:

• cleaned the carb and replace the critical mainjet "O"ring. 240 main and 25? pilot
  • Swabbed the carb inlet needle seat with toothpaste
  • Checked the reeds (good) and crankcase sealing (poor). 
  • Cleaned frame and replaced fuel, fuel lines and filter
  • Checked for spark, strong (compression good too) 
  • Aired tires to 12psi 

Pulled exhaust off and heated it up on the BBQ. It smoked for 2 hours. It weighed 3.5 kg before I cooked it

Image may contain: night, bicycle, motorcycle and outdoor

The photos did not capture how much smoke came off this. My neighbours are gonna hate me. 

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and night

This is where I sit now. Any suggestions? Any Canadian suppliers?

Edited by sbest

That's looks like a good unmolested bike that should respond well to some TLC, and yes, with the optional lighting kit - mine also has these lights and I have a UK "MOT" so I can ride day and night on it ?, not that I go far on the roads.

Does yours have a horn?  Mine didn't and I found out the hard way the electrics are unregulated AC (nominally 6 volt) so it needs a special AC horn.  And the bulbs need to be the correct wattage.  Also if you over-rev it the bulbs blow as there is no voltage regulator (or rectifier)....

• Thanks 1

I do want to keep the bike unmolested and to keep the lights working. It is dark at 6pm here this time of year and a good brake light prevents rear end collisions. Some of my riding buddies are CRAZY, you know? 

No horn, no battery and the stem sticker says "competition only" so I am guessing I will not be able to register for the road:

No automatic alt text available.

(last digits fudged)  Generally the DOT will not allow vehicles with this on the highway. We do register them for off-road. 

I have road registered non-batteried off-road bikes before. The orange KTM is mine. 

No automatic alt text available.

I did opt to install a tiny battery and DC full wave rectifier circuit for the horn, signals and to keep the head and tail light on if I was to drop the bike on a dark rainy night road. It also allowed me to use bright 20w brake and signal lights that would work engine on/off or low rpm. I still used the AC for the headlight. The voltage regulator is just a 14.3v voltage limiter (shunt). This all adds weight and complexity to what was originally a very simple bike. No plans to do this to the TY175, although it sounds like a voltage regulator might be in order?

Guy53, do you have to order parts out of country? 

Edited by sbest

As Bmonk said there are some parts avalable at your friendly Yamaha dealer, but I found that some dealers don't sell the parts at the '' retail '' price. Yes I ordered parts from all over the world with, most of the time, no problem. It's winter time so you have time to look around before buying.

Guy