What bike guards are required by ACU?

smokey125

Having not ridden in an ACU trial for 10 plus years I just want to check if there’s anything that has become compulsory in recent years? 

I’ve read the appropriate sections of the handbook and all I can find is that output sprockets must be covered, chainguards must be as manufactured and about rear sprocket guards in the general bike description section but nothing specific about them in the trials section. 

Are sharks fin (as there called in road racing) rear sprocket/chain guards required for trials?

A shark fin would be a nice looking trinket or bit of bling on a Trials bike, some bikes do wear them from new but they are considerably smaller and more flat. A shark fin as used in road racing would probably be wiped out in the very first section. The gearbox sprocket could also be considered as a toe masher on some bikes where so much of the original casing has been removed to prevent mud clogging etc. Some rear brake pedals serve a dual purpose and deflect any itinerant feet from ending up as pulp in the chain. The shark fin is there more to keep trailing feet from being mashed by the chain and rear sprocket as in Super Moto and other fast sports. Trials being slower and the rider being more about balance and not so much about broad sliding. It’s surprising that more attention is paid to the riders head gear than a thrashing chain, those bike catchers when a rider bales off are really brave. It’s only when you come to road use that a chain guard is even mentioned. If your Fantic has all its chain tensioner sand guides in place there should be no real problem. Now wait for the deluge of posts saying otherwise.?

Edited by section swept

I’ve got a handbook, comes with the road race license, but in usual ACU style it is less than clear. Based on the comments so far and that they don’t seem to be standard on newer bikes I guess I’m ok as I am. 

My new local club has an event on this weekend and a club meet next week, I’ll get myself along to one or both of those to have a chat.

TSR 1 "eligibilty / licences" covers some of it p197-198 (2018)

TSR 8 "motorcylces" covers more p199-201 (2018)

nothing jumps out as being something you need to watch for, usual stuff is as above; front sproket gaurd, etc - even a kill button isn't cumpsolry (lanyard for youth, british champs and sidecars)