OZO Rear Shock Question

pmk

48 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

please dont take any notice or waste your time on oni oni nou, hes a know it all who hasnt really helped which is what the op was after.

Please take your own advice.....its beginning to look like you are trolling me .........the OP was not after advice at the point that I came in he had finished the job and was letting others on here know how the job ended for their future reference in regards to the OZO shock .... You said the same thing in the Brucey 4RT Repsol Rep showa shock saga after I had aready given my friend Brucey all the technical information and help he had asked for and then you popped up using your well known trolling technique. We  were all appalled  on here the way you savagely and rudely attacked Dadof2 with your campaign of hate over some years which unfortunately ended with him being forced off the site  as he could not post anything without you ridiculing him and telling him he was wrong.

There are always plenty of people on here asking questions ....stop wasting your time on me and what I am doing and give the newbies the benefit of your mechanical knowledge.... I think I am speaking on behalf of all of us on here.

Edited by oni nou

Time out guys.

First off, Woody is correct, the MAR uses two size shock mounts.

As for InMotions reply, it certainly was short and sweet, essentially saying they just push out.  Fair enough, they were correct.  They did just push out, but required the force of the vise acting as a press to make it happen.  Yesterday while with the owner of the shocks, he went further than telling me he got them out.  His words were they both were very tightly pressed in, and released with a “pop”.

So, if others are buying these OZO shocks for an MAR, realize what may be required.  

As for lubricating this setup, unless you use just oil, or build a greasing adapter, you must run the pivots dry, or press them apart to grease them.

Regarding the use of rubber hose as shock eyelet mounts on some applications.  The early 70s Curnutt shocks on my MAR, I have the original instructions for them.  They explain, go to tne hardware store and purchase vinyl tubing in size needed to make the shock mount setup.

12 hours ago, brewtus said:

Unfortunate bit of bashing going on here.  Guess no one else has any experience with these OZO shocks on an MAR then, eh?

PMK has more than enough experience and skill to make them work.  Just sayin'.....

Thanks for the kind words.  Myself and my buddy that bought the shocks are both curious how well they perform.  Time will tell.  If needed I will revalve them if shimmed or make appropriate mods internally to get them dialed in.  Again time will tell.  Expect them to be pretty basic and no big deal other than waiting on seals when needed.

Myself, I wish he had just gone with sime USA made shocks.  He was tempted by Magicals but cost was more than he cared to spend.  At a guess, had he truly known OZO shocks are Betors, he may have avoided purchasing them.  His other Betors are crap to ride and do not use a quick release spring retainer.  

10 hours ago, oni nou said:

I think you mean Dave Renham has. People with experience and skill can work it out themselves.

Yes people with experience and skill can work it out themselves.  I handed them back and said wait on the reply from InMotion.  The idea of destroying the shock eye on someone elses new shock was not cool.  Last thing I needed was a broken shock and InMotion saying they accidentally sent the wrong shocks.  I stand behind my decision to wait an extra day or two until InMotion replied.

If I need to go inside these to get them dialed in, I will post some photos so others have an idea of how the are assembled.  Advertising says they use a bladder.  Possible but no common on non rezzy shocks with long shaft travel.

14 minutes ago, pmk said:

Thanks for the kind words.  Myself and my buddy that bought the shocks are both curious how well they perform.  Time will tell.  If needed I will revalve them if shimmed or make appropriate mods internally to get them dialed in.  Again time will tell.  Expect them to be pretty basic and no big deal other than waiting on seals when needed.

Myself, I wish he had just gone with sime USA made shocks.  He was tempted by Magicals but cost was more than he cared to spend.  At a guess, had he truly known OZO shocks are Betors, he may have avoided purchasing them.  His other Betors are crap to ride and do not use a quick release spring retainer.  

Yes exactly, both yourself and brewtus have behaved like civilised human beings unlike  nigel dabster and myself  .who would both do well to follow  your examples of how to conduct oneself on the forum ....please accept my apologies for any disruption.

Edit hopefully nigel dabster will apologise to the members of the forum  for his actions soon.

Edited by oni nou

7 hours ago, oni nou said:

Yes exactly, both yourself and brewtus have behaved like civilised human beings unlike  nigel dabster and myself  .who would both do well to follow  your examples of how to conduct oneself on the forum ....please accept my apologies for any disruption.

Edit hopefully nigel dabster will apologise to the members of the forum  for his actions soon.

Life is short, enjoy what you can while you are can.

Trials Central and other forums or FB groups are kind of an entertainment overall and like TV there are many characters.  Each person comes here for their own reasons.  Myself, I enjoy learning from others, and helping if possible when I can, and like grandkids or kids, sharing photos of my challenges of tasks, completion of tasks, and if worthy pictures of the bikes others may also enjoy.

Sometimes the characters are great to learn from or see what’s going on, other times less so.  When people act in a manner that deviates from what you enjoy, like TV, we can choose to not watch.

Your recent comment, indicating I had no idea about removing the eyelet bushings I shrugged off with a “whatever”, simply because you were not wrong in that I was not able to remove them.  I was asking to learn, there were no replies stating how, but once it was learned, I shared.

The shock eyelets are tangible and beyond obvious once apart.  Other times, topics are less tangible.  Recently on another website, there was discussion about other things, trials related.  Each of us has an opinion.  Some have knowledge and experience in various sunjects.  Never to old or unwilling to learn, open minded I ask the why question.  Until the why is answered, the opinion is merely that. Granted the why must be answered with a means to support the reason.  Sadly, often the why answer is a perpetuated tribal knowledge, simply based on hearsay.

Being miles apart in distance, often not knowing the other person, most times there is no reason to become upset about posts.  If you have the time to share knowledge and can support the knowledge that is awesome.  If you prefer to read and ask questions, awesome too.  Those that entertain themselves via negativity, that too is awesome since we as the viewer can change the channel and ignore them...

No worries from me about your previous comments here, from your side I can see I may have deserved it.

Edited by pmk

6 hours ago, pmk said:

Life is short, enjoy what you can while you are can.

Trials Central and other forums or FB groups are kind of an entertainment overall and like TV there are many characters.  Each person comes here for their own reasons.  Myself, I enjoy learning from others, and helping if possible when I can, and like grandkids or kids, sharing photos of my challenges of tasks, completion of tasks, and if worthy pictures of the bikes others may also enjoy.

Sometimes the characters are great to learn from or see what’s going on, other times less so.  When people act in a manner that deviates from what you enjoy, like TV, we can choose to not watch.

Your recent comment, indicating I had no idea about removing the eyelet bushings I shrugged off with a “whatever”, simply because you were not wrong in that I was not able to remove them.  I was asking to learn, there were no replies stating how, but once it was learned, I shared.

The shock eyelets are tangible and beyond obvious once apart.  Other times, topics are less tangible.  Recently on another website, there was discussion about other things, trials related.  Each of us has an opinion.  Some have knowledge and experience in various sunjects.  Never to old or unwilling to learn, open minded I ask the why question.  Until the why is answered, the opinion is merely that. Granted the why must be answered with a means to support the reason.  Sadly, often the why answer is a perpetuated tribal knowledge, simply based on hearsay.

Being miles apart in distance, often not knowing the other person, most times there is no reason to become upset about posts.  If you have the time to share knowledge and can support the knowledge that is awesome.  If you prefer to read and ask questions, awesome too.  Those that entertain themselves via negativity, that too is awesome since we as the viewer can change the channel and ignore them...

No worries from me about your previous comments here, from your side I can see I may have deserved it.

A great deal of empathy here.......that's a rare thing these days      not so sure  people have things happen to them because they deserve it ...its just random this and that. Regards

a lot for you here n d

Edited by oni nou

Reference photo that may help others.  Buddy texted this to me after he finally got the pivot pressed apart.

Two silver cups.  The spacer has the spherical ball machined as part of it.  Small O rings are the only seals.  No circlips to retain a spherical bearing assembly, simply each cup is press fit into the shock eyelet.

At a guess, those peen type marks are likely from the socket as the upper cup in the photo was pressed out.

OZO Pivot resized.jpg

Edited by pmk
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2018 at 11:49 PM, oni nou said:

Please take your own advice.....its beginning to look like you are trolling me .........the OP was not after advice at the point that I came in he had finished the job and was letting others on here know how the job ended for their future reference in regards to the OZO shock .... You said the same thing in the Brucey 4RT Repsol Rep showa shock saga after I had aready given my friend Brucey all the technical information and help he had asked for and then you popped up using your well known trolling technique. We  were all appalled  on here the way you savagely and rudely attacked Dadof2 with your campaign of hate over some years which unfortunately ended with him being forced off the site  as he could not post anything without you ridiculing him and telling him he was wrong.

There are always plenty of people on here asking questions ....stop wasting your time on me and what I am doing and give the newbies the benefit of your mechanical knowledge.... I think I am speaking on behalf of all of us on here.

I am not trolling you just simply pointing out the truth, that you simply cant know everything, and this is how it comes across sooooo many times.

The reason he posted on here was for his own reasons, whatever you think or summize, and your comments were unhelpful and rude.

I often reply on mechanical issues and impart my knowledge fwiw, but only on bikes i have experience on. Unlike you.

Dad of 2 wasnt forced out, he came and went within a year or so.

If you can do the same, or restrain yourself just a bit things might not be so fractious, do not post if you dont want your viewpoint challenged, if wrong, innacurate or unhelpful?

11 hours ago, woody said:

Very similar to the bearings fitted to the Magical shocks, except those fitted to the pair I had didn't have the O rings. Had them fitted for a few years and didn't give any trouble, no wear etc

Woody, are the Magicals pivots a press in type or spacers with a bearing retained by a circlip.  Just curious.

7 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

I am not trolling you just simply pointing out the truth, that you simply cant know everything, and this is how it comes across sooooo many times.

The reason he posted on here was for his own reasons, whatever you think or summize, and your comments were unhelpful and rude.

I often reply on mechanical issues and impart my knowledge fwiw, but only on bikes i have experience on. Unlike you.

Dad of 2 wasnt forced out, he came and went within a year or so.

If you can do the same, or restrain yourself just a bit things might not be so fractious, do not post if you dont want your viewpoint challenged, if wrong, innacurate or unhelpful?

More than one sentence ......I am Impressed .................I know a lot more than you and that's all that counts ......bye now....... Dadof2 left the forum because he was hounded off it by you ...fact.