OZO Rear Shock Question

pmk

6 hours ago, pmk said:

Woody, are the Magicals pivots a press in type or spacers with a bearing retained by a circlip.  Just curious.

Press in, just two cups and a ball, same as those in your picture apart from no extensions either side of the middle component for O rings. Mine are a few years old now but assuming they still use the same set up.  I'm not familiar with the latter set up you mention but I don't think I actually know what a 'proper' spherical bearing actually is...  

When I showed my local bearing supplier the bearing/bush from my Magical shock (referring to it as spherical)  to see if he could supply them he said no and that they weren't spherical bearings

16 hours ago, woody said:

Press in, just two cups and a ball, same as those in your picture apart from no extensions either side of the middle component for O rings. Mine are a few years old now but assuming they still use the same set up.  I'm not familiar with the latter set up you mention but I don't think I actually know what a 'proper' spherical bearing actually is...  

When I showed my local bearing supplier the bearing/bush from my Magical shock (referring to it as spherical)  to see if he could supply them he said no and that they weren't spherical bearings

Commonly, most times, a spherical bearing, being similar to say a ball bearing is sized by ID, OD, Width, and degree of misalignment.  In most cases, the ball is permanently installed by the manufacturer swaging the outer race.  On some styles, the outer race is machined with to notches that can allow the ball to be removed if rotated 90 degrees allowing the flats to pass by the notches.

Some version are manufactured as a steel ball riding against a steel outer race.  Other version may have a Teflon fabric liner and are considered self lubricating or there are versions utilizing brass races pressed into the steel outer race.

Some version are designed to be lubricated by grease and have a groove machined on center around the outer race circufrence.  This style also has a small hole drilled through the outer race within the groove to allow grease to reach the inner ball surface.  The groove acts as a passageway from the housing the bearing is seated into, allowing a grease nipple on the housing to recieve grease that flows inward to the ball.

I would post a photo of an Ohlins eyelet with a spherical bearing installed, however my upload limit is close to zero.

I admit to not knowingly ever seen Magical brand rear shocks.  Is it possible, or does anyone know, if the Magicals are manufactured by Betor to Magicals design criteria, or are they manufactured somewhere else?

I ask, since this pressed in mount design sounds similar and common to the Betor shocks.

Honestly, no idea where they are made, just asking a simple question.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:35 PM, pmk said:

Say what you might, but that post of yours is inaccurate and you are missing the context.  My buddy that owns the shocks first attempted to push out the what appeared to be a spacer bushing.  Fearing he would damage them, he asked me to give it a try.  Not knowing how Betor designed these eyelets, and nothing moved with reasonable effort, I too feared there was possibly a clip, or something else required to get these apart.  The idea of destroying a new shock eyelet was not cool and waiting to have good info was not an issue.

InMotion finally replied, and with that, my buddy, that owns the shocks stacked sockets and wise what he described as good effort, the vise pressed them out.

The design is silly and kind of dumb.  Hardly a true spherical bearing.  The design requires a tight press fit to retain the ball races.  But whatever.  Your description in your reply explains a typical spherical bearing setup, exactly as I too expected it to be.  Every pherical bearing I have worked with, whether shock eyelets, aircraft or automotive typically has spacers that can be removed from the ball, and the entire spherical bearing is inserted then retained.  With the spacer and ball as one item as on these shocks, the design is not common.

As for using rubber hose for shock eye mounts, with Betor not offering the correct size on this model shock, and being the upper mount with minimal movement, it is a non issue.

if you require more info to understand, I shall post a photo when time permits.

Er they are OZO shocks

18 hours ago, pmk said:

I admit to not knowingly ever seen Magical brand rear shocks.  Is it possible, or does anyone know, if the Magicals are manufactured by Betor to Magicals design criteria, or are they manufactured somewhere else?

I ask, since this pressed in mount design sounds similar and common to the Betor shocks.

Honestly, no idea where they are made, just asking a simple question.

I have heard Magicals referred to as glorified Betors in the past, probably read it on here at some point over the years however,  I'm not sure if that really is the case. Maybe the Spanish fellow behind the Magicals brand was a past employee of Betor, who knows?

As per the attached pdf from the Magicals website, only 12mm and 12.7mm spherical bearings available on their shocks, if you need 14 or 15mm top mounts as per MAR than you need to go rubber bushes, there's no pic of what they actually look like however.

Ossa was a strange bunch of MoFo's in my opinion, they were ahead of their time in some ways with stuff like the alloy bashplate (not the plastic one), electronic ignition, exhaust out of harms way and robust frame of larger tubing but then they gave us probably the worst brakes at the time, spindly 12 mm axles, crazy chain tensioner incorporated onto the brake spindle and 14/15mm top shock mounts. Gotta luv how good they look though.

Magicals Rear Shock Top Eye Variations..pdf

• Like 3

My buddy has installed his new OZO rear shocks onto his current MAR.  Not the one getting footpeg mods, his current rider.  The upper eyelts now are pivoting on clear vinyl tubing.  He needs to get a ride in on it, but indicated they had a better initial feel than his Betors he purchased previously.

The photos of the Magicals end eyelets explains visually how they described the valves were protected.  I did not realize the enter eyelet was threaded onto the shock body.

12 hours ago, deadbadger said:

Hi

You haven't said what bike your looking to fit the shocks onto. I might be able to help

Deadbadger

Sorry, a few posts touched upon what they are on.  Bike is an 72 OSSA MAR.  Overall though, removing the spherical bearings and replacing with vinyl tubing got them mounted with no concerns regarding installation.

However, open to hear what other ideas you might have that could be better.