Winter storage

Rut Row

The manual says "If you want to store the battery pack, you have to take some measures..."

Before storage, the battery pack must be charged;
Be sure 100% the battery pack is switched off;
Recharge the battery pack every 4 week, even it is not used;
Do not store the battery pack under 10°C (50F) or over 40°C (104F);
Do not store the battery pack in wet atmosphere;
Do not store the battery pack exposed to the sun;
Remove the battery pack if necessary.

note the "if" - I wonder if that is mandatory, highly recommended, or truly optional.

Does anyone leave their bike over the winter in the garage, below 50F, without storing the battery?

Move to a warmer State. I’d be guided by the manufacturers recommendations as they know best for their product. The plus side of removing the battery from the bike  means it’s less of a target for thieves. The other plus side is that your battery will be easier to look after out of the frame, so the bike stays in the garage all wrapped up in blankets with a few dehumidifier blocks as well. The battery you can keep in the house somewhere safe and warm near a power point for charging...preferably where you can vent to atmosphere safely. We all tend to charge phones, hoovers and other battery devices in the house without a second thought so why not your bike battery. ?

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2018 at 11:26 PM, section swept said:

Move to a warmer State. I’d be guided by the manufacturers recommendations as they know best for their product. The plus side of removing the battery from the bike  means it’s less of a target for thieves. The other plus side is that your battery will be easier to look after out of the frame, so the bike stays in the garage all wrapped up in blankets with a few dehumidifier blocks as well. The battery you can keep in the house somewhere safe and warm near a power point for charging...preferably where you can vent to atmosphere safely. We all tend to charge phones, hoovers and other battery devices in the house without a second thought so why not your bike battery. ?

It takes 2 seconds to put a phone on charge I imagine taking the battery out of the EM being a real pain in the ass....

I came here to look for advice on this exact issue, I have had my EM for about a month now and only just seen that the battery can not be left below 5 degrees which is a bit of a problem for me living in the UK it is 3 degrees right now so the bike is in the house at the minute which is not convenient at all. I have not looked at how easy the battery is to remove yet so without digging all the block paved drive up and running radiators to the garage I'm a little stuck! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2019 at 3:52 PM, Ryktn said:

It takes 2 seconds to put a phone on charge I imagine taking the battery out of the EM being a real pain in the ass....

I came here to look for advice on this exact issue, I have had my EM for about a month now and only just seen that the battery can not be left below 5 degrees which is a bit of a problem for me living in the UK it is 3 degrees right now so the bike is in the house at the minute which is not convenient at all. I have not looked at how easy the battery is to remove yet so without digging all the block paved drive up and running radiators to the garage I'm a little stuck! 

You are 100% wrong ....why would you not actually take 5 minutes and see how easy it is to remove the battery?

Let me tell you that it takes 30 seconds to remove ... There are three tie down bolts to remove the pack. It cannot be made any easier in my opinion.

Secondly, let me just give you quick 101 ....  Lithium based batteries generally have no problem to be stored in low temps (hence you see EV cars stored outside in -20C, yet they continue function without a problem). They will not degrade because of it. But .... if one day you hop on a bike and start riding when it's less than +10C outside, and you do it often enough, over time, the battery will suffer from degradation after all. So, you can keep it outside, but bring it inside, so temp rises to above 10C, ideally 20-25C, the night before you ride .... that's all.