Sherco st300 2014 rebuild

Pavloszx

4 hours ago, Pavloszx said:

Hello am looking to do a top and rebuild and Change the main bearings. Has anyone done this job? 

I have overhauled engines before and i would like to know if their is something i should look out for or some tips. 

Have a look at the Sherco specific site on TC. They are not difficult to work on if you know what you are doing technique wise, straight forward really. But you say you are going to do a top end rebuild and change the main bearings. What about the big end? You need to decide if you are going to take the engine completely apart....or fudge around. ?

22 hours ago, section swept said:

Have a look at the Sherco specific site on TC. They are not difficult to work on if you know what you are doing technique wise, straight forward really. But you say you are going to do a top end rebuild and change the main bearings. What about the big end? You need to decide if you are going to take the engine completely apart....or fudge around. ?

I don't know if the big end overhaul is needed or if it is a big job. I think you need a press to Change them? 

5 minutes ago, Pavloszx said:

I don't know if the big end overhaul is needed or if it is a big job. I think you need a press to Change them? 

You say that you have overhauled engines before but dont know if a big end overhaul is a big job??? Crankshaft out is a big job if you have little experience. To an experienced person its still a big job but not that challenging. Yes you will need to use not only a powerful press bur also some good alignment tooling and press tools, together with dti’s and vee blocks on a surface table.

Edited by section swept

7 hours ago, section swept said:

You say that you have overhauled engines before but dont know if a big end overhaul is a big job??? Crankshaft out is a big job if you have little experience. To an experienced person its still a big job but not that challenging. Yes you will need to use not only a powerful press bur also some good alignment tooling and press tools, together with dti’s and vee blocks on a surface table.

I have always sent my crankshafts to a machine Shop for big end repairs. But i don't thing is needed if the gaps are okay.