training with engine not running

Hello,

I was recently cruising thru the training forum and I notice there is no advice for training with the engine switched off. When I first purchased my new montesa it was the first of February and I was weather locked in the garage with single digit temps and two feet of snow in the yard. So I first focused on static balancing in a stationary position finding the correct vector for the front wheel so I could learn how to balance the motorcycle with my feet on the pegs not going anywhere. At first it was very difficult and I was only able to get 10 to 15 seconds on the pegs before putting my foot down, as the weeks went by with continued practice in the garage my balance improved and soon I was pushing to stay on the pegs thru my favorite song on the radio I would listen to . Then after that  I would try to work on hopping the bike in the same small area without the engine running so I could focus my balance even further. With winter closing in on this part of the world I just thought this might help folks looking for a way to improve over the next few months of no riding . Drain the fuel and put the bike in a warm area with a radio and have some fun cross training for next season. There's a lot of muscle memory to be gained with this type of practice ,Good luck. 

Best regards,

Maxwell smart

p.s. I know about the no stop rule and all the other reasons people will say this a bad idea and is not correct procedure, please do not cut and paste this, just give your opinion and do not stress me out how wrong I am when im just trying to help the new guys

I think it’s great balance and control practice to do that and will use it as a warmup before I go into my riding drills/practice.

Luckily for me here in the US the no stop rule isn’t an issue... but even with it I think it would help... my two cents.

2 hours ago, maxwell smart said:

Hello,

I was recently cruising thru the training forum and I notice there is no advice for training with the engine switched off. When I first purchased my new montesa it was the first of February and I was weather locked in the garage with single digit temps and two feet of snow in the yard. So I first focused on static balancing in a stationary position finding the correct vector for the front wheel so I could learn how to balance the motorcycle with my feet on the pegs not going anywhere. At first it was very difficult and I was only able to get 10 to 15 seconds on the pegs before putting my foot down, as the weeks went by with continued practice in the garage my balance improved and soon I was pushing to stay on the pegs thru my favorite song on the radio I would listen to . Then after that  I would try to work on hopping the bike in the same small area without the engine running so I could focus my balance even further. With winter closing in on this part of the world I just thought this might help folks looking for a way to improve over the next few months of no riding . Drain the fuel and put the bike in a warm area with a radio and have some fun cross training for next season. There's a lot of muscle memory to be gained with this type of practice ,Good luck. 

Best regards,

Maxwell smart

p.s. I know about the no stop rule and all the other reasons people will say this a bad idea and is not correct procedure, please do not cut and paste this, just give your opinion and do not stress me out how wrong I am when im just trying to help the new guys

Next few months of no riding???   When winter closes in, it's the proper time to ride trials, or just get out on the bike.

Two feet of snow.....here in the UK it only takes the threat of snow to clog the railways and create a run on the staples of life....and thats before its sctually snowed!!! Get out there in the snow....its the best place to practice balance control....better than mud??

• Thanks 1

Hi , 

IM sorry I implied everyone should agree with me, that was not my intention, any opinions are welcome positive or negative, I just feel that when folks cut and paste they are singling out people so they can specifically prove them wrong sometimes. Everyone is entitled to their opinion  and no one has to agree on everything, it is just stressful when u get singled out as wrong when trying to give out an opinion or share knowledge based on previous experience. My bad. Grammer was never my strong point. But I do enjoy this site and would like to add to its content here and there because I like to read on here and I see that's the case worldwide. kudos to Andy for such a great website. I just feel that when adding to a forum on the internet people should afford the same respect and common courtesy that is given in real time as when u are talking to someone in real life not on the internet as a keyboard jockey. I have seen a lot of people disappear from this site for the exact thing im talking about here. If this conversation gets out of control now because im mentioning my opinion about courtesy I will be the next guy to disappear. just my two cents.

With all the courtesy in the world, and I would say this to you face to face if the opportunity was here, don't retire for the season just because it's cold and gloomy outside, you'll be squandering the best conditions to improve if you do. Nothing hones the skills like riding on ice or snow.

• Like 1

Hi Section swept, 

Oh trust me I do love to snow trial and actually broke in the bike in February in single digits, it teaches u how to work for the traction needed in lots of sections . It was just too cold to ride as long as I would of liked so I was working in the garage with the engine off as well. but I do ride in the snow as much as possible. Sirdabalot I agree that my training in the garage helps a lot once u gain the gyroscopic forces of the engine running. I have been working out on a zoo 26 inch trials bicycle for a couple years now and find that the skills that I've learned on that have really upped my game on the motorcycle as well as the paddleboard surfing I do in lake Michigan. I am wondering if anyone would enjoy a short video of my skills learned on the bicycle as a 50+ rider, hopping it on the back tire, bunny hopping static balancing, generally feeling like the rider I would like to be on the motorcycle , but its tough to get that motorcycle on its back tire the same as the bicycle.  im wondering if the standard shock on my cota 260 is holding me back from progressing my skills to the motorcycle. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cleanorbust said:

Next few months of no riding???   When winter closes in, it's the proper time to ride trials, or just get out on the bike.

He lives in Michigan. Comparing winter in Michigan to winter in Yorkshire is like comparing summer in the south of France with summer in Aberdeen. 

The average low in Detriot in January is -8C, but as you know it gets pretty cold in Yorkshire as well. The problem is more the million feet of accumulated snowfall and the unceasing wind. You have fun outside if you want, I'll pass.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 1

I think practicing static balancing has been a big help to my riding in general and is just as valuable for no stop riding.

Practicing balancing with the steering straight ahead by moving the hips left to right and lifting a foot off the peg when needed is the same skill that will allow you to ride in a straight line without relying on steering to balance.  You then turn left or right because you want to go in that direction, not because the bike is falling that way and you need to turn to correct it.

The bike is now much more settled as I approach an obstacle and I can allow the bike to slow right down without getting as wobbly.  Also having a much easier time following a rut, riding along a log or just generally staying on any chosen line.

I still have a long way to go but in my opinion if you must always rely on forward motion to balance your bike you are lacking some essential skills for good trials technique.

Edited by bluey
  • Like 2