2018 20r power hard to control...

Ryanwills

Bit of background first my son is 8 and has been riding autos since he was about 3. A few months back we got a 2018 oset 20r which has a boost bikes Lipo battery. 

Trouble is we are finding it REALLY hard to get to grips with the bike, I've ridden it myself and can see where he's coming from. I know it's not a petrol bike so it will be different but I will try to explain the problem... 

Its all to do with the throttle control and how the power surges very quickly with no build up whatsoever. There is also a good 1 second gap between hitting the throttle and movement at the rear wheel... This is the biggest problem. It makes any kind of slow, technical riding really difficult.

Don't get me wrong we are having fun on the bike but just wished it was easier to ride. 

Has anybody else had a similar experience and if so how did you sort it or did you live with it? 

Thanks Dan

We've learnt that for tight slow work, hold a steady low throttle and use the back brake to control the output, basically using the brake as a clutch.  As for bringing the power on slowly for a big climb or similar in wet conditions, we haven't found a method, the petrol bikes win every time here, the direct drive electrics just spin up and have to be ridden as fast as a section will allow to have a chance.

Hi, got the same bike but too mean to buy the lipo's yet. All I can say is the lead acids are pretty instant and very controllable with the stock set up.

Most of the Osets I've witnessed with the lipo's always seem to have a very abrupt power delivery but I've no first hand knowledge.

Sure someone on here will know,

37 minutes ago, cascadeimp1 said:

There are 3 control knobs under the oval rubber piece in the "tank" area. Refer to the owners manual and set them to your preferences.

Cheers we are aware of these and it makes no difference to the throttle issue. 

30 minutes ago, arthritic said:

We've learnt that for tight slow work, hold a steady low throttle and use the back brake to control the output, basically using the brake as a clutch.  As for bringing the power on slowly for a big climb or similar in wet conditions, we haven't found a method, the petrol bikes win every time here, the direct drive electrics just spin up and have to be ridden as fast as a section will allow to have a chance.

Nice one, seems like you get where I'm coming from. Yeah I guess the power could be controlled with the back brake somewhat I'll have a mess about with that. 

34 minutes ago, breagh said:

Hi, got the same bike but too mean to buy the lipo's yet. All I can say is the lead acids are pretty instant and very controllable with the stock set up.

Most of the Osets I've witnessed with the lipo's always seem to have a very abrupt power delivery but I've no first hand knowledge.

Sure someone on here will know,

I will research this a little more or hopefully someone else has some inight? Could it be the battery causing the issue I wonder? Unfortunately I don't have the LA batteries to try but will see if I can get some. 

Had electric, Oset and Mecatecno, lead acid and lithiums, for two and half years now competing almost ever weekend. Battery makes no difference to power coming in almost instantly. You can help the rider by messing about with power settings etc. but when they start doing bigger stuff they need it on maximum for half the event. Even with that the better riders still do better.

Just had another look at the bike now and it seems there is about 1/6 play in the throttle where nothing happens whatsoever, I'm sure this is contributing to the throttle delay but as its not cable operated very hard to adjust the free play. Anyone done anything about the free play in the throttle? 

Lead will normally not give such a surge as lipo can, this is just because lead has a higher internal resistance. With the bike rear wheel off the ground can you roll on the throttle with no surge ? ( can you make the rear wheel move at a very slow speed ). Nearly all electronic throttles have some initial play before they start driving the wheel, there are electronic devices that will allow you to map the throttle movement so this free play can be taken out. Its not advisable to use the rear brake to slow the control down as this will be putting more stress on the battery ( higher load and will run down the battery quicker than normal ) but I understand that it can be necessary for slow control but rear brake should be applied when rolling the throttle off ( if that makes sense )