TR280i fork oil

pindie

Changing my fork oil soon for new 5wt as per Birketts info. 160mm air gap. Is this measured with the springs in or out?

My plan was strip, clean and re bush/seal the forks. Screw the bottom bolts in to seal and then fill and work the cartridge to purge air. Before the springs go in I’ll measure and set air gap to 160mm- does this sound about right?

Donde esta el maestro nd quando se necesita ayuda ?. .......la boca de basura.........Bueno vamos .The air gap is measured with the spring out.

Clic this its the same fork on your bike if its still has the one the Ossa factory fitted.https://youtu.be/zK_wIBKgqpM  it is important.

Edited by oni nou

5 hours ago, pindie said:

Changing my fork oil soon for new 5wt as per Birketts info. 160mm air gap. Is this measured with the springs in or out?

My plan was strip, clean and re bush/seal the forks. Screw the bottom bolts in to seal and then fill and work the cartridge to purge air. Before the springs go in I’ll measure and set air gap to 160mm- does this sound about right?

Check above.

• 4 weeks later...

I did my fork oil yesterday. The old stuff was definitely past it’s best. Comp side is easy. I tried the rebound cartridge strip and re fill method which works but is a bit fiddly. Definitely worth doing if you have old oil in the forks - in there was full of nasty gunk that I was glad to clean out.... I then wondered if there is an easier way to prime the rebound cartridge for when doing more frequent oil changes. There is!

You can just remove the brass tipped rebound adjustment rod from the top of the fork. Carefully slide it out the cartridge.  You can then pour oil straight down the hollow cartridge slowly. When full, re fit the adjustment rod and tighten to force oil into where it’s needed. Now you need to repeat the rod remove, oil fill and rod replace several times. Each time the adjustment rod goes back in it forces oil into the cartridge. Mine took about 5 goes and was air free. 

I then re fitted the cartridge to the tubes. Set my air gap and put the forks in the bike. A test ride revealed no pogo stick! It works the same but means a lot less messing about. 

Edited by pindie