Mont 200 wheel spacers

old bones

The previous owner of my 81 cota 200 removed the speedo drive from the front wheel and replaced it with an alloy spacer, I think he also replaced the other side as well with the effect that the wheel is not central in the forks.

Would anyone know the length of the original spacer on the other side of the brake or the thickness of the speedo drive gearbox. Its very difficult to measure the spacers needed as it is quite awkward to be accurate also the brake arm from the brake drum to the forks is slightly bent is this correct or should it be straight? I hope someone can help, cheers.

I've just slipped the wheel back in and I don't think you will have any spacers on the brake plate side as it has a cast in boss on it. I know my forks may be a little different, but they are the same make and roughly the same year so can't be too different.

Remove the front wheel, refit the spindle and measure the distance along the spindle from the inner edge of one fork to the other. Now measure the width of your hub. You will need to measure the depth of the hub bearings  (how far in the hub bearing is in the hub on both sides). Now fit the wheel back in without any spacers or brake plate. Centre the wheel in the forks by sliding the wheel on the spindle. Measure the gap on each side. Now remove the wheel and refit the brake plate, refit wheel and brske plate to forks. Centre the wheel, this will tell you if you need an external spacer between the fork and the brake plate outer. The important thing is to not pull the forks in when the wheel and spacers are installed otherwise you may crack a fork leg and most certainly cause the forks to run tight or even lock up. you will probably need a spacer in the hub between the brake plate and hub bearing, on the other side just one spacer. Once you have the wheel centred you can then offer up the brake anchor arm and decidecif it needs a bend or not. 

WoW! Thanks everyone for your input I have spent the day fitting as per Teamferret's suggestion ,no spacer on the brake side and I made up a spacer on my lathe for the speedo side it worked out that this spacer was 25mm and all seems to be well.even the anchor rod is straight

But now that 4stroke and section swept have given me some more food for thought I will now go back to square one and at least check to see if its right. I did not check that there was a spacer between the brake plate and the bearing.

Tayld, thanks for the PM . I dont think anyone has changed brake/hub of forks.

Cheers

OK, I've taken the wheel out again and looked to see if there is a spacer inside between the brake plate and wheel bearing......there isn't one but the brake plate has a steel boss pressed into the alloy brake plate so effectively the plate has a built in spacer that contacts with the bearing face and the fork ..so I think no spacer required??

Team ferret???

As yet I have not done as Section Swept has advised but will get round to it .

4stroke...Did you get to measure the spacers on yours. would appreciate any info you can give .

Cheers