Childs Helmet

blenkie

Looking for a helmet for my daughter to start competing, what an absolute nightmare! Live not to far from a supplier in west cumbria so went to try them on and managed to get one that was a decent fit but had no ACU sticker on. When I enquired about this he said it passed all testing and was not sure if it needed a sticker on or not to compete in trials but did say that they  could put one on if needed!! Tried to e-mail ACU with a question regarding this and its been a week and no reply, are they like this? So we are left in a dilemma of do we get the helmet or should we look for something else? Disappointed with the ACU. Can anyone clarify about having the sticker or recommend a helmet. We live in the middle of Northumberland so its a trek to get anywhere to try them. Funnily enough we were at the dirt bike show and there was very little choice in the way of trials helmets to try on. And its a christmas present!!

I’ve attached the wording regarding helmets for trials from the ACU 2018 handbook, TSR12 and also the ACU helmet advice. There is no requirement listed for an ACU sticker on a trials helmet, only that it is road legal. Most trials helmets comply with EC22-05 Homologation standards. There is a tag on the helmet strap to show that the helmet has passed the EC22.05 standard.

C03B578C-A65C-46E6-B9B3-52387AD8A44A.jpeg

C2317764-EE37-4737-9C4E-25B9A506AA27.jpeg

Edited by dabba
Correction

Have you tried Off Road Moto in Blyth Northumberland?

Unit 37 Grasmere Way
Blyth Riverside Business Park
NE24 4RR
Blyth
Northumberland
UK

Give John a call on: 01670 361080

Edited by haysy

Thank you for the replies it looks like the importer helmet should be fine then. I would of thought he would of been more clued up on the rules regarding helmets. I take it the helmets are scrutinised at the competition?

Thanks Haysy, never heard of them might give them a look. 

Its a new area for me, did motocross a long time back and I can always remember getting the helmet checked and it had to have an ACU sticker to be allowed to race assumed it was also applicable to trials. Got a reply from the ACU finally basically saying the same as the replies on here. Maybe being a bit harsh on them with the late reply but anyone with no competition experience at all it can all be a bit confusing and maybe a little bit off putting as what is required but all sorted now and we can join a club and get competing 

Oni nou not sure what is funny?

Oh OK then! I work with a lad like that but we don't say he has  an 'unconventional' sense of humour, we have a different term for it! No in motocross (talking 20 years ago) when the bike was getting scrutineered the helmet was always checked at the same time for the ACU sticker and was also checked it was in a safe condition assumed in trials it went through the same checks. Thought it was strange the main importer could not say it would be OK for trials but never mind its sorted now

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blenkie said:

Oh OK then! I work with a lad like that but we don't say he has  an 'unconventional' sense of humour, we have a different term for it! No in motocross (talking 20 years ago) when the bike was getting scrutineered the helmet was always checked at the same time for the ACU sticker and was also checked it was in a safe condition assumed in trials it went through the same checks. Thought it was strange the main importer could not say it would be OK for trials but never mind its sorted now

Its the same from our point of view of course.....the Prince Regent comes to mind..

Edited by oni nou

11 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Oni Nou has an "unconventional" sense of humour. I think he's amused by the thought of helmets being scrutineered at a trial, because it is so unlikely.

Thanks for that translation; they are not all as quick- witted as you @trapezeartist

Edited by oni nou

On 12/10/2018 at 9:02 AM, blenkie said:

All branches of speed motorcycling require ACU sticker. Trials doesn't as detailed above. Some dealers will know this some won't.

1 minute ago, nigel dabster said:

Or as unhelpful as you Oni nou.

Yet another case of trying to be funny.

And failing.

Will we ever see you help anyone sort their mechanical issues or will you just be commenting on what I do or do not do for as long as I am around.

1 minute ago, oni nou said:

Will we ever see you help anyone sort their mechanical issues or will you just be commenting on what I do or do not do for as long as I am around.

Please refer to my many posts.

I'm not convinced you have ever "sorted" any mechanical issues, and as illustrated perfectly in this thread decided to be funny (on your own mind) rather than answer the op.

He even had to ask for an explanation FFS.