TXT 50 Rookie

Cheneycol

I have owned a TXT 50 Rookie and a TXT 70 Cadet and they are very different engines (and transmissions); the Rookie had a two-speed gearbox with a manual as well as an automatic clutch, while the Cadet had a six-speed manual clutch. I started my son on an OSET and transitioned through the Rookie and Cadet, but it's now on the TXT 280 that he's finally making significant progress and having fun. And it helps for him that at only 13 years old he's already 6 foot 1 inch! The power of the bike and the full sized wheels make all the difference for him. Still, having the smaller bikes were fun and built his confidence, but I too tried to "find more power" from them and it just didn't work. If I were to do it all over again rather than the Rookie and Cadet I might go with some of the bigger OSETs before getting a full-sized gas bike. The 280 was selected because it was available/close and shares most of its parts with my TXT300. A 125 or a Beta 200 might be a better first gas trials if coming off of a series of electrics.

Edited by d2w

Thanks for your reply.  The TXT Rookie I'm looking at is the big wheel with 6 gears.  I believe it's the same bottom end as the 70.  My boy has ridden a full auto but is ready to try clutch & gears so a good starting point.  The main engine parts are now obsolete by the looks of it but rings look to be available.  

45 minutes ago, d2w said:

I have owned a TXT 50 Rookie and a TXT 70 Cadet and they are very different engines (and transmissions); the Rookie had a two-speed gearbox with a manual as well as an automatic clutch, while the Cadet had a six-speed manual clutch. I started my son on an OSET and transitioned through the Rookie and Cadet, but it's now on the TXT 280 that he's finally making significant progress and having fun. And it helps for him that at only 13 years old he's already 6 foot 1 inch! The power of the bike and the full sized wheels make all the difference for him. Still, having the smaller bikes were fun and built his confidence, but I too tried to "find more power" from them and it just didn't work. If I were to do it all over again rather than the Rookie and Cadet I might go with some of the bigger OSETs before getting a full-sized gas bike. The 280 was selected because it was available/close and shares most of its parts with my TXT300. A 125 or a Beta 200 might be a better first gas trials if coming off of a series of electrics.

Keep him off anything with a bigger capacity engine....he’ll be seven foot before long otherwise....must be something in the water!!?

The difficulty we experienced - and it may have very well been due to our poor riding/teaching  technique - was that the TXT 70 motor - a Morenelli I believe - was essentially a scooter motor and had no torque. So to use the bike Even really had to ring it out into its 10K RPM range! But this is not where one wants to be when learning. I did make a flywheel and I did replace the jug and piston - again looking for more power -, but the changes weren't significant. And now on the 280 the opposite problem is occurring as Evan struggles to keep the front wheel on the ground. :)