Re Commissioning your own Bike

dixie

My old Tiger Cub has been in my possession for 31 years , however when I moved out of my family home 25years ago, I couldn't find the log book, but as I only did the odd trial, and the Christmas engine run up with my Dad (RIP). I wasn't overly bothered , however while going through documents after we lost Mum, I found the original Log book in my name , So I sent it off to the DVLA, with covering letter ....

Much to my surprise I have had a two month correspondents ping pong, even having to Photograph the frame number , number plate , etc.... But have finally been told its being processed ...

Is this now the norm ?  

It certainly should be a slicker process but your opinion might be different if you were on the other end of such a situation.  A pal was once grateful for the thoroughness of DVLA over a bike he owned when someone who had come across an old mudguard at a jumble was trying to use possession of that old number plate as the basis for claiming ownership of the bike.

1 hour ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

It certainly should be a slicker process but your opinion might be different if you were on the other end of such a situation.  A pal was once grateful for the thoroughness of DVLA over a bike he owned when someone who had come across an old mudguard at a jumble was trying to use possession of that old number plate as the basis for claiming ownership of the bike.

I bought a C15T original in boxes. Took it home and put the whole lot in my shed. A few weeks later a police officer knocked on my front door (my mum and dads flat actually...I was still attending school so lived at home). He announced that he was chasing down stolen motorcycles...this is when the Police had the time and the personnel to committ resources to investigate....rather than just issue a crime number! He had been told by the previous seller of the C15T my address and could he have a look at the bike. I told him it was in pieces, in my shed. He wanted to see the frame and engine numbers only, having written down the numbers he told me it was very likely to be a stolen machine and to keep the bike as it was and he would contact me after checking back at the police station. A few days later in the evening the police officer returned, informing me that the bike I had was not a stolen machine as the number of the stolen bike was one number out....I didn’t question him about it....schoolboys do not question police, I was just releived I hadn’t lost my £15 that I paid for the bike. I sold the bike that weekend to a mechanic for £25....if only I had that bike now☹️ That was the police working and not the DVLA or whatever it was called back in the 60’s. The old buff logbooks were certainly a more useful document than the V5 sheet we get now.

2 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

I have owned the bike for over 30 years !!  And it was registered in my name ..... Just my old address....