Gas Gas TXT 280 year 2000

Gary228

Hi I have just bought the above it needs some tlc and when I bought it the guy started it but it would not run with the choke off he said there was a jet blocked that no problem can get that sorted but I justr tried to start it and it ran for a very short time I noticed that there was some oil on the cylinder head and asked him about it he said the plug just needs tightening up ive just gone and changed the plug for a new one the old one was not even hand tight put the new one in tight and by heck its almost impossible to kick it over  could it be something to do with compression why was the old plug slack any ideas please 

thread is exactly the same on another subject what is the best 2 stroke oil to use and what grade of petrol is it better to use super unleaded or normal unleaded ? also what coolant or antifreeze to use and what gearbox oil many thanks Gary 

Yes fuel was off no leaks neither I've tried to k9ck it again likened the plug and it started but cut out that's because of the blocked jet I think but tighten the plug up and it becomes almost imposs8ble to kick it any ideas 

Hi Gary, Its pretty normal for a healthy trials bike to need a good strong kickover to start. What size of bike have you migrated up from? Maybe the kick lever is indexed too far forward on the splines...this can make it awkward to effectively cycle the lever when attempting to start the machine. 

hi Paul thanks for the reply I don't think it is too far forward it has started a few times but only when ive loosened the plug im concerned there may be a compression issue im not a mechanic tho ive had a beta Zero before and was no were near as hard as this its almost impossible to kick could there be an issue with compression ?? it started with choke full on but then cuts out very quickly 

The best advice to you would be to take your new fixer upper to a reputable bike mechanic to either fully sort it out for you, or at least give you a report card of what your looking at to fix yourself...and then go from there.? Best of luck

So is the plug wet every time you remove it? I still think the engine is full of fluid if it won`t kick over. Hydro locked. The old TXT motor actually has a drain on the right center case for the crankcase.

Edited by lineaway