Trs 300 rr backfire then loss of power?

leembarnes

11 hours ago, lineaway said:

It could not hurt to unplug all connections and double check all grounds.

Will test this eve cleaned all the earth connections. There was a touch of moisture in the connector from the stator to the cdi cleaned that off and will see what happens!

Edited by leembarnes

Keihins are notorious for getting a bubble of water in the pilot circuit. Pump gas can be very inconsistant. I used to run Sunoco Ultra 93 until a few bad batches put me on my tail a few times. Nothing but racing fuel ever since and not a single fuel problem in many years.

A friend with a TRS had a problem with an intermittant misfire we traced to the CDI wire harness being trapped between the pipe and the coil bracket. The pipe had melted the trigger wire insulation and was just barely shorting out the ignition. 

Good luck finding the problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

This week in my TRS 300 2016 I had exactly the same problem :(

I checked the carburetor and the entire electrics. After reading this topic I decided to check the CDI unit. I switched CDI from my friend's motorcycle. Unfortunately, I will also have to order a new CDI module.

Thank you for your topic !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

I wonder if you can describe the CDI malfunction symptoms more specifically?

I have a 2018 TRRS 300 and a couple months ago it started misfiring at high RPMs under load. Most noticeably in 5th gear and then roll on the throttle, then it starts to skip and act like it has a fouled plug and loaded up with fuel at the same time. It clears up when I slow down and keep throttle at about half. I suspect the CDI issue may be the problem too. Runs great all day, hot or cold, as long as I don't open up the throttle. It has gotten a little worse now, so I can't do any big hits.

• 1 month later...

My 2019 280 has been running and starting sweet every time. The yesterday, leant her up against a tree to look at some video clips, and has never started since.

Checked all wiring connections, striped carb, changed fuel, blew out pipes. Only thing found is that the spark is pretty intermittent when held against the head. Have ordered a new one. Wondering if this may be the CDI issue. Will know more on Friday when the plug arrives.

Edited by Jemerdo

3 hours ago, Jemerdo said:

My 2019 280 has been running and starting sweet every time. The yesterday, leant her up against a tree to look at some video clips, and has never started since.

Checked all wiring connections, striped carb, changed fuel, blew out pipes. Only thing found is that the spark is pretty intermittent when held against the head. Have ordered a new one. Wondering if this may be the CDI issue. Will know more on Friday when the plug arrives.

If it was a car, I'd check the crank position sensor. That is almost always the reason when it's running great but then won't start. I don't know if bikes even have them, but there must be something that tells the computer the crankshaft position.