EFI OSSA: How Many Kicks to Start Yours?

konrad

My 250 is starting on 1 kick now!  Even started on 1 kick after sitting all winter.  Over the winter, I removed the cylinder head to "cc" it.  Obliviously, cleaned off all the carbon first.  Cleaned the carbon off the piston crown as well.  Some of the carbon was soft and came off with acetone, some of it required gentle scraping.  There was also a bit of hard carbon in the exhaust flange that I removed.  Because there was a crack in the muffler structure that needed repair, I also burned all the carbon out of it (weldor is unhappy otherwise).  Bike has about 245 hours on it -- unlikely any of this had been done previously.  It's also a bit cool here, about 60* F (15* C) which does help starting.  Hope this starting behavior continues into the summer.

There's an "Evo 2" map in the bike currently.  Was wondering if any of you 1-kick starters are using an "Evo 6" map?

• 9 months later...

I don't open another psot to not mess up the site ..

My bike, from the cold starts immediately first second shot goes into motion.
When it is hot, it is hard for me to kick many times, and often when it starts it has very low turns and goes off.

What can it be?

Thank you

Edited by Simonelongus

Ciao Simone, there is not very much information there to diagnose the problem. Does the fan turn straight away while you are kicking? When the motor starts from cold will it rev properly or does it sound like there is too much fuel? Have you removed the ECU connector - very carefully - and used a cleaning fluid like Wurth type OL on the connecting pins/socket? Bye, Peter B.

I have tried a few different maps, I forget which one is in there now- for my Explorer I think the latest 280, I never got around to doing a map switch, so the dual maps that could be quite useful for me I’ve not really tried.

I think my (now sold) 300 factory had the latest 300 termi map.

this is that bike, had not been started in 3 or 4 months I think.

you can hear the fuel pump run when I push the ‘super easy start’ button I added (full 12V to fuelpump/ecu etc)

On 2/1/2020 at 12:43 AM, peterb said:

Ciao Simone, there is not very much information there to diagnose the problem. Does the fan turn straight away while you are kicking? When the motor starts from cold will it rev properly or does it sound like there is too much fuel? Have you removed the ECU connector - very carefully - and used a cleaning fluid like Wurth type OL on the connecting pins/socket? Bye, Peter B.

Hi, thanks for the help .. The fan does not turn immediately. It turns well in cold weather, has the correct engine revs. I cleaned all the connectors and sprayed the spray I just bought a few months ago. The ECU connector, however, I did not, but they were all in good condition and clean.

Edited by Simonelongus

On 2/1/2020 at 5:50 PM, lotus54 said:

I have tried a few different maps, I forget which one is in there now- for my Explorer I think the latest 280, I never got around to doing a map switch, so the dual maps that could be quite useful for me I’ve not really tried.

I think my (now sold) 300 factory had the latest 300 termi map.

this is that bike, had not been started in 3 or 4 months I think.

you can hear the fuel pump run when I push the ‘super easy start’ button I added (full 12V to fuelpump/ecu etc)

What a show, beautiful !!! I think that compared to the normal model 300 yours is already stronger since it has Termignoni exhaust. Very very beautiful it looks new. I have not yet tried to connect the cable for fear of doing damage !!

Have you removed the air temp sensor from the inlet manifold and carefully cleaned this with a soft cloth? Check the earth connections there may be some corrosion under the terminal lugs. What condition is the spark plug? Is it a sooty black colour, wet looking? When the motor is cold, after a short warm up period, does it rev out ok, or is it smoking a lot. There is a little black cased relay, called the Chassis Relay, have you cleaned these terminals with spray, the plug and socket. The relay is located under the front of the seat unit, to the right. Bye, Peter B.

Thank you,

weekend I change the gearbox oil and as I disassemble I check all the connectors again.

I will also check the temperature sensor.

The spark plug has about 30 hours of work, replaced as soon as the motorcycle is bought.

The bike smokes enough until it warms up, and when it is hot it smokes very little.

Thanks again.