New to this from Derbyshire UK

Jay Shep

Hi all, Ive just stumbled upon your site. I am looking at giving trials a go, I live in Glossop Derbyshire and I currently do quite a bit of green laning. I have a budget of approximately £1500 to purchase a bike to start on, whilst I have been riding over 25 years I have only ridden a trials bike on a couple of occasions. Any advice appreciated, I'm looking for a club etc in my area, if anyone has a bike for starting off on around my budget give me a shout also. Thanks in advance Jay Shep

1 hour ago, Jay Shep said:

Hi all, Ive just stumbled upon your site. I am looking at giving trials a go, I live in Glossop Derbyshire and I currently do quite a bit of green laning. I have a budget of approximately £1500 to purchase a bike to start on, whilst I have been riding over 25 years I have only ridden a trials bike on a couple of occasions. Any advice appreciated, I'm looking for a club etc in my area, if anyone has a bike for starting off on around my budget give me a shout also. Thanks in advance Jay Shep

manchester17.org.uk   hillsboroughmcc.co.uk  and falconmcc.co.uk hold events within a hours drive from you,also rochdaleanddistrictmotorclub.co.uk    https://darwentrials.club  ....trials practice at cowmleisure.com and wickenwallscottage.co.uk

Ebuy has Trials motorcycles[dealers advertise their s/hand bikes on there] in your price range but you are at the low end of the market values so you may have to spend a few hundred on top of that to get the bike up to standard.....at 1500 you may find shock linkage bearings [not that cheap if you replace them all you could be spending around 100 or more]  need replacing along with some general tidying. the best bike to go for in terms of spares availability in that price range is the GasGas TXT pro ..2004 onward are better buys followed by the Beta Rev3 2004 on.... IMWO.

Oh nd ...sorry about that.

Edited by oni nou
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jay Shep said:

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate its the low end of the market, i will have to shop around i am sure, i'm still unsure on  2 stroke or 4 stroke ? Thank you for the clubs also. Appreciated.

Not a lot of 4 strokes around at that price mono shock or twin shock unless it is a home built special . you may find a tatty Scorpa tys 125cc at that price but that is not a common occurrence ....you could try gumtree

Edited by oni nou

If you join a club you may find members selling bikes in that price range - probably a good opportunity to try a couple and find out a bit about the history - possibly also less likely to be sold a pup if the seller knows he/she will see you every week thereafter? 

1 hour ago, shakennstirred said:

If you go the classic route, look up peak classic trial club. 

Good club and they have some great venues to ride and lots of classes to suit every level. 

Yes, i saw their web site, it looks a great club and it is near me, any idea of which bikes to go for in that bracket ? I have had a quick look on ebay and they all seem to be in the £2500 bracket ?

£2500 is about right for a twinshock bike that's in properly working condition; I paid much less for both my twinshock bikes, but they've both needed a shedload of work.

Conversely "modern" type bikes that are "undesireable" (10 to 20 year old 2 strokes) can be found for about £1K in good working order if you're patient.

Note that with ANY used bike you need to know what you're looking for in order to find a good one - there are huge numbers of trials bikes for sale that look good but are falling apart under the surface.  If you're not mechanically inclined, find a local club member of good standing who is willing to help you; trials clubs are generally a friendly bunch and often good deals go to club members without being advertised elsewhere.

Last bit of advice, even though you've ridden motorbikes before, avoid anything bigger than a 250 like the plague for a first trials bike - as soon as you're in a confined space in sketchy conditions you'll understand why!

Be wary of imported bikes as some are in need of loads of work, some have been advertised for ages. Thats not to say all are to be avoided some import dealers sell good examples, just check each bike out thoroughly although £1500 will not buy much in this particular area of advertised bikes.

If you can try to find a bike thats been used for trials work and not thrashed to death around a field. Good maintenance and ducumented history are good as are invoices for parts fitted or replaced. Ask if there is any movement in the advetised price before travelling to view, please dont buy sight unseen as this can be a shock when the bike arrives by courier, unless of course you are satisfied that you have a bargain.  

Private sellers can be right rogues or traders masquerading as Joe Public. When phoning don't mention the specific bike in the advert that's attracted you, ask about ‘the bike’ if theybsay which one then you are most probably talking to a trader. 

There are this sites TC  classifieds that may well have what you are looking for.....good prospecting ??

On 12/12/2018 at 3:37 PM, rich500 said:

Montesa 315 would be the perfect bike for you to get started on! Cracking bikes, will hold it's value too (creeping up if anything). Couple on ebay at the moment in your budget.

Thanks for all the replies, some excellent bits of advice, it is appreciated.