Hard to start beta rev3

Franklin9000

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, ahh_me2 said:

Like I said: "Discrepancies", but if it helps at all....Great!

I plan on tracing out my wiring early spring, in order to compare it with those diagrams. They've been the only ones I've found so far though.

Well, I do have the super blurry ones in the pdf manual I have...pretty much useless unfortunately

Maybe it would be worth making a Beta rev 3 wiring thread, get people to contribute whatever wiring diagrams they have or amend them based on actual checking/testing.

I was looking at mine today. I have 4 wires that comes out of the stator and another 2 that came out of the harness. I opened up the harness to figure out what was going on. There's a black wire that goes into the harness and then right back out to create a u-shape. It connects to the plug then goes to another black. The other end goes to an individual clip. I haven't traced it yet, but it wasn't going to ground. Brown goes to ground on the stator itself. Red goes to the primary. Then there's white, yellow, and white/black. I'm not getting any strange readings from any of those wires, so I'm thinking my problem is somewhere else. I didn't have time to trim the plug wire and try it today. Hopefully I'll be able to do it tomorrow. If you want to start that thread I'll write down everything I find and contribute.

I only understand the basics of how all the electrical components work. Wiring and the electric stuff isn't my strong point. I'm more good with mechanical problems, so maybe someone can help me diagnose this. I took off the ignition coil and tested it. I'm pretty sure it's ok from all the info I can find on how to test a coil. I'm getting like 9.6 resistance from the primary on the coil to the end of the spark plug boot. The info I've found said it should be in between 10-16k. I'm getting 5k from the boot alone.

The wires coming out of my stator are:

Red=primary

the triggers are white and white/black

brown=ground

yellow goes to the other windings.

I tested the different wires. The primary wire (red) to ground (brown) was .574k. the same as with red to white and red to white/black. Red to yellow is .374, and brown to yellow is .3. I believe the important one is the red to all the others which from what I've read is supposed to be 250-300.

When I kick it I get 72.5v ac from the stator to the connector. Then I get .121v coming out of the cdi to the coil. From the coil to the spark plug boot I get .685v. That's all in AC.

I'm not sure if I'm testing it correctly or if this is telling me that the stator or cdi is the problem. I'm guessing the stator because of the .574 reading I got, but the numbers going to and out of the cdi confuse me. I don't understand how 72.5v gets turned into .121 from the cdi and then .685 from the coil.

I'm not sure if I understand the process correctly. The stator generates ac power and sends it to the cdi. The cdi takes a portion of that power and sends it to the coil. Does the cdi convert it to DC? When the coil has the power it collects it and then releases it in single charges to the spark plugs?

I'd be grateful if someone can help me make sense of these readings. thanks.

17 hours ago, Franklin9000 said:

I only understand the basics of how all the electrical components work. Wiring and the electric stuff isn't my strong point. I'm more good with mechanical problems, so maybe someone can help me diagnose this. I took off the ignition coil and tested it. I'm pretty sure it's ok from all the info I can find on how to test a coil. I'm getting like 9.6 resistance from the primary on the coil to the end of the spark plug boot. The info I've found said it should be in between 10-16k. I'm getting 5k from the boot alone.

The wires coming out of my stator are:

Red=primary

the triggers are white and white/black

brown=ground

yellow goes to the other windings.

I tested the different wires. The primary wire (red) to ground (brown) was .574k. the same as with red to white and red to white/black. Red to yellow is .374, and brown to yellow is .3. I believe the important one is the red to all the others which from what I've read is supposed to be 250-300.

When I kick it I get 72.5v ac from the stator to the connector. Then I get .121v coming out of the cdi to the coil. From the coil to the spark plug boot I get .685v. That's all in AC.

I'm not sure if I'm testing it correctly or if this is telling me that the stator or cdi is the problem. I'm guessing the stator because of the .574 reading I got, but the numbers going to and out of the cdi confuse me. I don't understand how 72.5v gets turned into .121 from the cdi and then .685 from the coil.

I'm not sure if I understand the process correctly. The stator generates ac power and sends it to the cdi. The cdi takes a portion of that power and sends it to the coil. Does the cdi convert it to DC? When the coil has the power it collects it and then releases it in single charges to the spark plugs?

I'd be grateful if someone can help me make sense of these readings. thanks.

https://youtu.be/0yK3Opq_i0M Clic on this

10 hours ago, oni nou said:

thanks. I think I got it. I'm pretty sure my stator is bad. I'm going to do a couple more tests tomorrow. I need to see if the cdi is bad too. I'm considering rewrapping the stator myself. It doesn't look too complicated. I just need to figure out the right compound to use to seal it. I've been reading forums. Different people suggest different things.