TXT 321 Forks

herman

Getting ready to swap out the seals in my 2001 TXT321 and have a couple of questions: I've read the forks are cartridge type and I've never worked on any. Do I disassemble the same way as regular dampned forks by way of a bolt on the bottom? Are there springs in both legs? What are the black and red knobs for? I assume preload for the springs and dampening?

All I know, and it's not much, is that I used to add spacers to my old trials bikes to firm up the springs. I always assumed this was called preload. my riding buddy tells me that increasing the spring rate was called sag and that preload was a dampening adjustment. I'm guessing that cartridges function similarly to old damping rods by the rate of oil passing through an orifice?

I'm confused. Can anyone help out this old marginal mechanic?

Thanks, Herman

Thanks, Doug. I'm waiting on the parts from the Tryals Shop right now. I'm hoping the week after Christmas to begin. I'll give a shout before hand.

The KT runs! Got the dreaded chore of removing the 42 year old tires the other day. I guess I'll go ahead and pop for some new Dunlops.