Floating front brake disk NOT floating

dhrcprice

Hi everyone, I have recently bought a TRS One RR bike and have noticed that the front brake disk keeps binding up on it's spacers causing the front brake to drag. I know that the disk is supposed to float and if I grab hold of the disk and pull it sideways it losens up and then the brake stops dragging, but as soon as I use the brake again the disk binds up and starts dragging again.

Is this normal? Or should the disk always float. If so, how can I adjust it so it always floats?  I've tried undoing all of the bolts that hold the disk spacers and centralising them so the disk is as free as possible, but this hasn't helped.

I hope some one can give me some advice.

Thanks.

Nearly all bikes now whether road or competition have floating discs. Together with a well maintained caliper there should be little if any noticable brake judder. If your bikes brake disc has been clobbered by hitting a rock or when dropping into a gully etc this may have caused the brake disc to distort and hence the floating disc spacers will be in compression. Oni nou suggests increasing the clearances  for either the floating spacers or the locating holes, these should be adequately machined to size at manufacture. However corrosion could be causing the floating to be restricted due to stiff/binding of the bobbins ( the rivet fixings holding the disc to the rotor). Floating disc brakes are really intended for brakes that generate lots of heat, more so than most trials bikes will ever do. Its just another way of making the bike look more technically advanced and also a little lighter due to the alloy rotor ( disc carrier) shaving some weight off the total disc weight. When manufactured the disc should be easily moved sideways to the limit of the bobbins and restriction of the flanging and anti rattle wave washers. 

My bet is you and gasserguy have distorted discs due to impact as previously described. 

Thanks for all of the advice, I think I've now found what the problem was. On closer inspection it appears the that reason the disk freed up when it pulled it sideways is that it moved the pads apart. The reason for the dragging of the brakes was the pads getting stuck in the caliper. I removed the pads and the pistons were free but the pads were very tight in the caliper due to brake dust and slight corrosion. So I cleaned out the caliper and removed all of the dust and corrosion off the pads with a piece of emery paper and put everything back together. I've just been out and ridden the bike for an hour and everything is still free. Every day's a school day I guess.

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2018 at 11:42 PM, section swept said:

Nearly all bikes now whether road or competition have floating discs. Together with a well maintained caliper there should be little if any noticable brake judder. If your bikes brake disc has been clobbered by hitting a rock or when dropping into a gully etc this may have caused the brake disc to distort and hence the floating disc spacers will be in compression. Oni nou suggests increasing the clearances  for either the floating spacers or the locating holes, these should be adequately machined to size at manufacture

My bet is you and gasserguy have distorted discs due to impact as previously described. 

Wrong bet? Oni nou suggests alot, and alot is poor advice.

Well done @dhrcprice for sorting a simple problem, yourself

3 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

Wrong bet? Oni nou suggests alot, and alot is poor advice.

Well done @dhrcprice for sorting a simple problem, yourself

Ah the Prince Regent returns ......will you be offering any advice Sir ..........I'll get Baldrick to bring up the book of who's who.................BALDRICK!!!

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, b40rt said:

Messaged you a while ago, don't know if you say it. (TYZ conversation)

Think I saw all  your messages but I did shut messaging down as I was abused once  in my in box by someone [I will not disclose the details of the perpetrator] and it left me feeling .....well you know..fragile........I will have to have a look..............I've been a bit busy:D

Edited by oni nou
  • Sad 1