REFLEX 200 motor swaps ad infinitum

kamikazecowboy

OK, from looking at the abuse the tlr200 reflex owners get I'm ready to sling **** back ; Got one for free ( best part so don't go off whining buy something else), motors seized up will take apart and find out why some other time BUT in the interim Would an XR/XL/ATC 200/250 motor of earlier 80's vintage be a bolt up swap?  Yes as a fab shop owner I know I can make anything fit so please don't go there, I'm just looking to get a beater running for when my trail-pig ( klr650) is getting married to a sidecar this spring Ive still got something to run around on and maybe teach the wife how to ride. Not looking to build a trials bike  ( yes I can hear the whining already buy something else, I didn't buy this so get over it). So the cost is already no relevant except for a used motor

You have answered your own question! As you say ‘ as a fab shop owner’ ... now theres two options to this fab thing, one is its a clothes shop selling fab clothing darling dont you know....or its a fabrication workshop....options chosen....you say ‘I know I can make anything fit so please dont go there’...why? Bet you couldnt fit anything bigger in that tiddly frame...how about a Harley Davidson Flathead 750 and gearbox. Now if its a fab clothes shop can you get Levis nice and cheap?

Seriously if you do a quick measure up I’m sure you will find that Mr Honda rather than design a different crankcase for each model XR/XL or TLR you will find they are the same so should slot in nicely. Gear ratios and spacing wil be different.

I’ll keep quiet about the Reflex thing but you do know its a tr.........oops sorry??

Edited by section swept

XR valves are bigger which might hurt low end torque.  Bigger valves can make an engine more suited to top end.  Kind of like installing a larger carb to make an engine rev more.  You might check if it has been done and the results.

12 hours ago, kamikazecowboy said:

OK, from looking at the abuse the tlr200 reflex owners get I'm ready to sling **** back ; Got one for free ( best part so don't go off whining buy something else), motors seized up will take apart and find out why some other time BUT in the interim Would an XR/XL/ATC 200/250 motor of earlier 80's vintage be a bolt up swap?  Yes as a fab shop owner I know I can make anything fit so please don't go there, I'm just looking to get a beater running for when my trail-pig ( klr650) is getting married to a sidecar this spring Ive still got something to run around on and maybe teach the wife how to ride. Not looking to build a trials bike  ( yes I can hear the whining already buy something else, I didn't buy this so get over it). So the cost is already no relevant except for a used motor

Is this a question, or just a rant ?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kamikazecowboy said:

Oil pump. Parc Ferme ( Car Park....)

• 5 months later...

35 minutes ago, slicktop said:

So did you install a 74cr250 motor?

Natural choice.

Kamikazibumboy, one hit rant, never to be seen again.

Edited by b40rt

2 hours ago, b40rt said:

Kamikazibumboy, one hit rant, never to be seen again.

There's already a kamikazi in this thread, and I am at work for the general good of humanity and I'm knocking on Heavens door. 

• Haha 1