125 250 or 300cc ??

monty247

Hi I'm a novice riding a old twinshock, Id like to own a newer bike & assumed a 250 would be the obvious choice.

Secondhand bikes within my budget (ideally £1500-£2000) there's more 125s & 280/300s than 250cc advertised. 

tapping in to your experience what would you choose?

Cheers

There's a reason there are lots of those for sale - people ride 125s for a bit then move up (that's what I did - to twinshocks), and people buy 280s/300s assuming that they want the biggest because that's best and then either scare or hurt themselves.

So, if you're super new and struggling with your 247, and if you weigh 12 stone or less, grab a 125 and then sell it on.  If you're more fully bodied, or confident and wanting to be more competitive, be patient and get yourself a 250 when one crops up ;)

• Like 2

I would say turbofurball has it well stated...

My experience... I am about 195 lbs (88 kg/14 stone) and can ride my daughters Gas Gas 125 fine but it dose take more work than mine and I have to spin it out a lot more in a lower gear for a long hill.  So if you some trials experience and are close to the same as me I would recommend a 250, if a good amount smaller then a 125 could work well in my opinion.  

Good luck! ?

Edited by jonnyc21

If it,s an option,you could maybe put a spacer in the head to lower compression on a 280/300 and tame it down a bit. A friend of mine did that on his older Gasser and said it made it easier to start and ride. He was a machinist and made what he needed.I don,t know if something like that is available after market but it might be worth looking into.

300s tend to be more slow reving than 250s so are stronger but a bit slower on response so can be easier to ride.  However, if the throttle gets away from you and you end up at higher rpms they put out a lot of power that could get you in trouble.  So, I think the answer depends on your throttle control.   

7 hours ago, monty247 said:

Thanks for your input, I wouldn't now rule out a 125. I guess the power isn't to far away from an old twinshock anyway.

A modern 125 will have less flywheel, than a twin shock. The power is quite adequate and you can add a flywheel weight to make it more stall resistant. I don't run a flywheel on mine and have always used the white throttle tube. They are more like an older bike, in that when the obstacles get bigger.... you have to lift and get the work done a little sooner, than a 250 and a 300.

As a 62 year old trials beginner and now up to riding intermediate, I'm on my third 125 and feel no need to go bigger. 

• Like 1

I also ride a 125cc bike, having faced with the same decision as you.

I am 58 years old and returning to the sport after 15 years.  But never much more than a wobbler then.

I am 72kg and wanted light weight and controllable power.  I bought a 2013 Gas Gas 125 pro.  Brilliant bike, it has the fast throttle on it and does everything really well.  I am riding some intermediate and some beginner routes.

Years ago I had a Montesa 315/250cc, The Gas Gas is, for me, in a different league and I am now doing things i never expected to master.

I also talk to riders at our club who have tried to calm down their 250s

Good luck with whatever you choose, there is rarely one answer.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:43 PM, monty247 said:

Hi I'm a novice riding a old twinshock, Id like to own a newer bike & assumed a 250 would be the obvious choice.

Secondhand bikes within my budget (ideally £1500-£2000) there's more 125s & 280/300s than 250cc advertised. 

tapping in to your experience what would you choose?

Cheers

Hi Monty247

I returned to the Trials fold after a 30ish year break, (use to ride both Honda TL150 and Kawasaki KT250),........and for me, made the mistake of buying a 315r, nothing wrong with the bike, BUT there was with my confidence (and riding ability on it - once a wobbler, still a wobbler :rolleyes:)  It was way to good, and I actually frightened myself on it, (not good)............Now back on Twinshock(s) and far, far happier.

5 minutes ago, Twinshockandy said:

Hi Monty247

I returned to the Trials fold after a 30ish year break, (use to ride both Honda TL150 and Kawasaki KT250),........and for me, made the mistake of buying a 315r, nothing wrong with the bike, BUT there was with my confidence (and riding ability on it - once a wobbler, still a wobbler :rolleyes:)  It was way to good, and I actually frightened myself on it, (not good)............Now back on Twinshock(s) and far, far happier.

Only 30 years? My trials hiatus was somewhat longer, and no road bikes, enduros or anything else in between. I started with a Beta 300 4T and it definitely got the better of me. I switched to a twin shock Fantic 200 and got on better. But after a year I’m going to switch back to a modern 200 or 250. The Fantic is a lovely bike and more knowledgeable people than me will say it’s the best twinshock bar none, but I think you have to have a passion for classic bikes to ride them, and I don’t have that. I will continue to enjoy riding with the classic clubs though.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just started riding a Sherco 125 and would recommend it to anyone who is not to heavy , At 148 pounds I am light enough to not need anymore power than a 125 provides and I have had lots of bigger bikes but the 125 really teaches you how to ride in ways that a bigger bike cannot teach you .

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dirt Dud USA said:

I just started riding a Sherco 125 and would recommend it to anyone who is not to heavy , At 148 pounds I am light enough to not need anymore power than a 125 provides and I have had lots of bigger bikes but the 125 really teaches you how to ride in ways that a bigger bike cannot teach you .

Did you stop on the way home from the Tryals Shop and trade the Scorpa for a Sherco???

On 1/14/2019 at 9:31 PM, nhuskys said:

Did you stop on the way home from the Tryals Shop and trade the Scorpa for a Sherco???

Ok so the new to me 2019 125 Scorpa Factory is not a Sherco . It is going to take awhile to get the bike all the others are modeled after the GasGas out of my mind .

• Like 1