Sherco v Beta

trapezeartist

3 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Indeed there are, section swept. And I'd be open to any, but the amount of information to be absorbed is pretty mind-blowing. Which year the significant changes came in? Which year there were problems. Which year it was a fiery beast and which year it was all soft and friendly. I started this thread because I think I'm getting on top of the Beta info but then saw an attractively priced advert for a Sherco, so I thought I'd ask.

Usually you would lump Beta and Montesa, for build quaility and more of a stable ride.

Sherco, Gas Gas and TRS would be more on the fringe for the younger hop and bop crowd.

I prefer the Beta, but would go with the TRS for build quality in the hop and bop types.

I've had 3 Sherco over 15 years.  2001, 2005, and 2011.  Only the 2011 had the minor problem of the water pump shaft leaking.  One of the two seals was installed backwards at the factory.  Some claimed the vacuum pumps on the 2011 and never bikes can be a problem.  Of the 5 or 6 riders I know with those bikes, none have had any problems.

Initial inspection leads me to believe the Beta is a higher quality machine.

I just bought a new Beta.  Why?  I have no cartilage in my right hip, and the Beta has a left side kickstarter.  How is that for a personal rationalization/reason! ?

As I told a buddy "Even if the Beta is only 70% as good as the Sherco, the left side kickstarter makes it 30% better than the Sherco!" ?