FIM Take Back TrialGP Series

World championships are all the same, wide open throttle to big step. After fiddle around getting lined up, repeat and then repeat.

Totally boring to watch and with only pseudo natural hazards it's coming to a natural end. From watching videos only Japan breaks the mould. I went to the Italian round this year and left before the end such was the interest for me. Belgian was much better. I wonder what Holland will be like in 2019.

Edited by mattylad
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mattylad said:

I wonder what Holland will be like in 2019.

I believe it will be totally man-made. I considered it as it's close to Arnhem and that's on my list of WWII places to visit.

4 hours ago, mattylad said:

World championships are all the same, wide open throttle to big step. After fiddle around getting lined up, repeat and then repeat.

Totally boring to watch and with only pseudo natural hazards it's coming to a natural end. From watching videos only Japan breaks the mould. I went to the Italian round this year and left before the end such was the interest for me. Belgian was much better. I wonder what Holland will be like in 2019.

That is exactly one of the issues of the current organization. The sections become the same style as the local club only sets the boundary ribbon, not the splits. Bring back the technical turns, but the riders would want to stop and hop.

20 hours ago, heffergm said:

I think there's been a general degree of unhappiness with and friction between sport 7 and local organizations. I'm not all that surprised they're done. 

When you've got such a diverse group of cultures and nationalities and so many personal agendas and egos, you could put Mother Theresa in charge and there would still be friction. That said, I could see it coming and it was one of the reasons I gave it up. The other being the majority of people I speak to see it as little more than a circus that is so far apart from what they do on a Sunday, they're not really interested. It was no longer worth my while using all my annual holidays from the real job covering it.

I don't think anyone can deny Sport 7 raised the profile of the Series and it definitely came across as a lot more professional and more fitting of its World Championship status, but it would appear that wasn't enough.

• Like 1

Whatever the reasons behind this change, I sincerely hope they keep up the coverage and YouTube vids etc. Watching them has greatly increased my interest in trials and although I agree it's another world from a local club trial, it has to be good for the sport and the industry in general. In terms of sections, anything that removes the hop and bop element is a good thing in my amateur eyes. I do like watching the Japanese and British rounds because it does show up those that aren't as used to mud.

I agree that the presentation of the sport improved and I welcomed the you tube shows, but in my opinion the introduction of timed qualifying in the place of two day trials was a retrograde move. 

Trials will never be mainstream, so why not just accept that fact and promote events that appeal to trials riders rather than try to attract a mainstream audience?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems they look for a venue that will easily accept all the huge trucks ,then try and create some sections ,some of which are inevitably man made.I don't want to see arena type sections in outdoor event,I also want variety not just big steps which generally are clean for the top few,and 5 for the remainder.Its gone so far from what most do it's almost a different sport.Reckon the WTC needs a rethink 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Andy said:

the majority of people I speak to see it as little more than a circus that is so far apart from what they do on a Sunday, they're not really interested.

Ah now that's funny because the reason I was told they went to non-stop was exactly that. So they took away one of the most interesting parts of the sport (trick riding) and now it's not even interesting to riders. Huh, who'd a thunk it.

• Like 1