Montesa v Beta

trapezeartist

2 hours ago, duggan said:

Honda every time! 24 world championships back to back and total domination in trial 2 this year is proof enough for me.

Toni Bou and I ride totally different sections, so I don’t think that’s proof enough for me.

1 hour ago, jimmyl said:

Maybe coming of a twin shock maybe an advantage as they benefit from an old school style of riding -weight back and good throttle control - not the 2T zip and clutch burn technique. Once you believe they will grip and hang on a second longer then the grip is there -if you bail out and foot then they can spin and the grip is gone. Clutch out and feel for the grip using the bottom end torque gives dividends but you have to believe in the bike. First gear is amazing and will grip but you have to be a bit brutal once you have the grip in a lower gear  -I have had some mega cleans in 1st gear where 2t riders are pulling 3rd.

Depends on your riding style I guess.

Weight back and dodgy throttle control: that’s me! I know I’m too on-off with the throttle (Mick Andrews told me so) but I’m working on it. I do like that feeling of burbling around something with the engine hovering just above stalling.

People are giving me totally mixed messages about grip on mud so I think I’ll just park that one.

They are also telling me the Montesa doesn’t steer as well as the Beta. I know I’m not good on tight turns so I need all the help I can get. But as I can never get the steering over to full lock maybe it doesn’t matter. At least this is something I can easily get a feel for when trying a bike out.

• Like 2

I could do that on a 2t ???

Think that's just called trials riding.

I think the variation can be greater on 4rt though especially if the condition are 4rt un friendly - slippery - hop and stop type going that the 2 t riders can hop - balance then burn at 

On 12/24/2018 at 2:47 PM, jimmyl said:

I could do that on a 2t ???

Think that's just called trials riding.

I think the variation can be greater on 4rt though especially if the condition are 4rt un friendly - slippery - hop and stop type going that the 2 t riders can hop - balance then burn at 

Not for me jimmy im fairly consistantly average, but never lose 3 x marks one day to the next on similar sections. I could never get to the bottom of the 4rt grip, almost when it (I) was good it made it easy (showa suspension?) but when it got into trouble it was always twice as difficult to recover............I gave up in the end and went back to 2t

5 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Not for me jimmy im fairly consistantly average, but never lose 3 x marks one day to the next on similar sections. I could never get to the bottom of the 4rt grip, almost when it (I) was good it made it easy (showa suspension?) but when it got into trouble it was always twice as difficult to recover............I gave up in the end and went back to 2t

I stuck with the 4rt and just enjoy the good times - I deliberately don't try 2ts just in case I'm drawn back from the dark side?

As said many times you pay your money and make your choices..

I think the longer you stick with the 4rt and are able to learn its quirks then they can be as competitive as anything on the clubman route - expert wise then they may be less competitive or more limiting?? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1