TY250A piston to wall clearance?

Junglejeff

6 hours ago, section swept said:

If you are using a good and reliable engineering/machine shop to rebore your barrel, they should have a pretty good idea on clearances. 

You didn’t look very hard either, TY Trials have all the details on their web site for Woosner oversize pistons.?

I checked there and no info on fitting I can find.My guess is .0003" but not sure.Will send them a message and see what they say.Unreal such a high quality piston does not come with any fitting specs.

8 hours ago, tony27 said:

https://www.tytrials.co.uk/trailandtrialsuk/prod_2768676-812-Full-Piston-Kit-TY250-Twinshock.html

If you look towards the bottom of the page you'll see a recommendation of 0.002" or 0.05mm clearance

Daa,I did not look down there.Thanks Tony.Bringing crank and jug in after holidays to have reworked. 

3 hours ago, section swept said:

Cant beat studying closely?

Sent crank and jug to stealth performance yesterday.I talked to him about the clearance and he said with the wossner it should be good but be careful on break in.Said if it was a wisco he would add a .001" because they use cheap aluminum. He builds crazy stuff and race motors for the snowmobile and high performance boats.

• Like 1

Wiseco is often referred to as seizeco for good reason, can't say I had any problems running 1 in my YZ465 though.

General riding on a trials bike would be considered as a careful break in by most people, I rode some tree root sections that didn't require lots of revs for about an hour to run my 250C in earlier this year when I fully rebuilt the engine

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Junglejeff said:

Sent crank and jug to stealth performance yesterday.I talked to him about the clearance and he said with the wossner it should be good but be careful on break in.Said if it was a wisco he would add a .001" because they use cheap aluminum. He builds crazy stuff and race motors for the snowmobile and high performance boats.

Wiseco pistons have a higher coefficient of thermal expansion than Wossner pistons, so need more piston/bore clearance (when measured at room temperature) than a Wossner. In theory the clearance is the same once the Wiseco is up to operating temperature.

Running in a rebore is getting the bore and rings to bed in against each other so the contact surfaces can form a low-friction gas seal. While the running-in is happening, there is a lot of extra heat being generated by the friction of the rings against the fresh bore which can (amongst other things) cause the piston to get hotter than it should, which can cause the piston to get too big which can cause it to nip up.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, feetupfun said:

Wiseco pistons have a higher coefficient of thermal expansion than Wossner pistons, so need more piston/bore clearance (when measured at room temperature) than a Wossner. In theory the clearance is the same once the Wiseco is up to operating temperature.

Running in a rebore is getting the bore and rings to bed in against each other so the contact surfaces can form a low-friction gas seal. While the running-in is happening, there is a lot of extra heat being generated by the friction of the rings against the fresh bore which can (amongst other things) cause the piston to get hotter than it should, which can cause the piston to get too big which can cause it to nip up.

We have a lot of issues here in michigan with them mainly because of weather.The main problem is the engines don't get up to temp and the pistons never quit slapping.It is terrible if you use them on jet ski,s and boats.Air cooled motors like this are a huge problem for the wisco in our conditions. I prefer to use better pistons such as vertex or wossner. The wossner was actually cheaper than the wisco for this bike.I will wait till spring to run bike in because not sure I can get a proper break in winter.Most likly will do the 5 minute run in cool down method. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Received some parts for bike and started working on it more.Real happy with the work my guy did with reboring and crank rebuild.Received my falcon shocks from Europe and pretty nice looking shocks for just over 200 bucks.These old bikes are alot of fun to work on.

20190118_191205.jpg

20190124_162739.jpg

20190118_191259.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, feetupfun said:

I just bought some new Falcons too and am very impressed with the revised (improved) mounting system they have now

What did they change?.The only issue I am having is I have to sand mounts on bike I little as they will not slide over.

6 hours ago, Junglejeff said:

What did they change?.The only issue I am having is I have to sand mounts on bike I little as they will not slide over.

To avoid side loading on the seals, shockies need to rotate freely on the mount as the swingarm oscillates and with the old all-rubber mounts, some people mounted the FALCONS with the rubber clamped tight by the fixing. They also chewed out fairly rapidly, causing slack. They also were difficult to resize to suit larger mounting pins. Yamahas are OK because they are all 12mm pins but Kawasakis and OSSAs have 12mm pins at the bottom and bigger mounting pins at the upper ends.

The new FALCON mounts allow the shock to rotate freely on the mounts because the fixing clamps the aluminium bush.

Yes I also had to clean the gunge and rust off my pins to make the aluminium bushes slide on.

• Like 1