Seat / Tank unit

bsw

Hi 

My Sammy Millar seat/fuel tank unit has failed.

The bike has been sitting for a few years with some petrol in the tank which has broken down , there is loads of yellow sludge in the tank.

The thread where the tap connects had loosened and is leaking.

can this be repaired 

I would think I'd have to cut the base of the tank to repair fully.

You may well spend an awful lot of money trying to sort out this problem. At the end of the day the integrity of the unit has been compromised. You could cut the base out and get an alloy tank made to fit inside....a bit like some Montesas, but that will be costly unless you have connections with the sheet metal trade. Shedworks do a neat replacement that is far nicer than the Miller item and its made from ethanol resistant resin at £350 approx. Did Miller do a unit for the TLR??

Another alternative would be to get a petrol tank from a lightweight bike or moped and utilise that, this can work out ok if you dont mind the bike looking different to the norm for a TLR, of course the seat would need sorting, possibly you could use the Miller seat section.

10 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

So you'll have a broken frame to look forward to sometime as well☺

How many of these frames broke 

I have heard the failed at the  headstock,

The welds on mine look good, smooth with no undercut.

Mine was last out of the shed 4 years ago so it's not going to break in there.

"How many of these frames broke?"

Every one that I have seen or seen a photo of.  The downtubes crack just at the end of the gusset. You might get away with repairing a small crack if you catch it before it spreads but the problem would appear to be  a combination of bad design and poor quality tubing.  I had mine sleeved internally - not an easy job.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

You are not the only one to have problems with the Sammy Millar product.   I went back to original ty175 tank to cure the problem.   They are getting to be expensive on the ebay auction, as they get rarer.   Got the same problem with a Bultaco tank, on one of my historic bikes.

• Thanks 1