Securing a trials bike

al_orange

What is a good way of physically securing a modern trials bike. Enduro bikes can be chained through the frame but I can't see a way of doing that with a trials bike. It looks like you could chain it up but it would be easy to unbolt forks or wheels to remove the chain. Even if you removed both wheels, they are so light that a single man could just carry it off.

Short of keeping it in a cage, I can't see how you can secure the bike within a locked garage. 

Any ideas? 

13 minutes ago, al_orange said:

What is a good way of physically securing a modern trials bike. Enduro bikes can be chained through the frame but I can't see a way of doing that with a trials bike. It looks like you could chain it up but it would be easy to unbolt forks or wheels to remove the chain. Even if you removed both wheels, they are so light that a single man could just carry it off.

Short of keeping it in a cage, I can't see how you can secure the bike within a locked garage. 

Any ideas? 

You cannot secure a bike in a locked garage ......keep it somewhere less obvious. ........not so sure that its a single man only thing  a married man or one with a girlfriend is just as likely to carry it off,

Edited by oni nou
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, gasserguy said:

You can chain it through the frame........   All my differing bikes have been chained that way....

I guess it depends on the bike and the size of the chain. Would be good if that's the case. 

The only place I can see is perhaps around the frame just above the foot peg behind the carb and above the drive chain??

Edited by al_orange

You have to make it hard to get too in the first place (Bury it behind things) and use a couple of chains. Make it look confusing , use a long chain with multiple wraps and hard to get to the lock. Having something else to steal that is easier to take is a good plan too. Having your new bike out of sight and a cheap nice looking bike available or something else of less value that is easier to take.

Edited by lineaway
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, al_orange said:

I guess it depends on the bike and the size of the chain. Would be good if that's the case. 

The only place I can see is perhaps around the frame just above the foot peg behind the carb and above the drive chain??

Yeap......   In & out above the chain and fixed to a good ground anchor.  You won't get it in one side & out the other though unless a small chain.

Edited by gasserguy
  • Like 1

Waste of time spending money on high end chains and anchors as the cheapest cordless grinder with a 1mm disc cuts them like a knife going through butter and is quiet. spend your money and time on beefing up your garage security to keep them out in the first place

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, technowaldo said:

Waste of time spending money on high end chains and anchors as the cheapest cordless grinder with a 1mm disc cuts them like a knife going through butter and is quiet. spend your money and time on beefing up your garage security to keep them out in the first place

Exactly,

There was a report of a theft on here where the garage door was blocked by a vehicle but the thieves just forced their way through and lifted the bike on top of the vehicle and dragged it across the top of it  and damaged the roof and bonnet  in the process.

As said no chain or lock can resist Mr Cordless grinder with a metal cutting disc in it, I had to rescue my son recently after his disclock failed to unlock from the rear disc, I was through it in a minute and that was being slow and careful to not damage anything, I would concentrate on garage security, multiple locks inside (if you have access from the house) plus locks on the outside, also put up cameras (even dummies work well) that flash a led to attract attention plus an alarm box or even a real alarm. At the end of the day though if they want it bad enough all you can ever do is slow them down.

I had a brake in with the locks in the link above, they simply bent the door. You need to prevent that with other devices or maybe by bracing between them.

I've used them again on the new door, but into the ground not the frame and with a bar locked down on front of them.

• Thanks 1

Chain and ground anchor is what the insurance company wants so do that and if it's knicked you claim your money and get another.. Chains will stop the chancers.  Won't stop someone who comes prepared.  

Edited by gasserguy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, gasserguy said:

Chain and ground anchor is what the insurance company wants so do that and if it's knicked you claim your money and get another.. Chains will stop the chancers.  Won't stop someone who comes prepared.  

Exactly. I think my garage is fairly secure but I'd just feel stupid if they got in and just wheeled it away without even having the inconvenience and noise of grinding the chain. You never know, they may just bring croppers or nothing. 

11 hours ago, oni nou said:

You cannot secure a bike in a locked garage ......keep it somewhere less obvious. ........not so sure that its a single man only thing  a married man or one with a girlfriend is just as likely to carry it off,

A married man with a girlfriend, this is getting juicy....TV spin off reality programme even ...Marriage on Trial...or On the Rocks....or What rubber to use?Of course you will have to include the Gay???‍♂️??‍♂️fraternity to! NOW I understand about the Lycra gear...