Securing a trials bike

al_orange

It doesnt really matter what bike or machine you have in your garage, shed etc. If Pondlife want it they will get at it and nick it! Even if you had five or so alarms....which usually just get ignored by everyone....it would not stop them. A neighbour has CCTV of some hoodie wearing yuffs helping themselves to the contents of a nice new Saloon car, wallet and credit cards..that’ll do nicely ta! You have to ask yourself about the sanity of some people! 

Make your shed or garage door obviously reinforced then that just attracts inquisitive observation from the wrong people. A warehouse owning bike collector keeps his bikes on the second floor, the only way to get any of the bikes out is to use a fork lift which he keeps in another building. Even plod would want to know what a yuff in a hoodie driving a fork lift down the road was up to.....and it aint practicing for his driving test!!!

Take the wheels out, put them somewhere out of sight....put the rest of the bike on the bench or again somewhere that allows you to cover it up and disguise its shape.

These thieves will be looking for any bike not just trials machines. Leaving the bike for a long time and its worth removing the forks, handlebars and rear guard just to spread the bike about and make it too hard to steal in one go. Thats the good thing about a trials bike, not so easy to do for road bikes and the like though.

Funny since I started reading this thread, I noticed there was a pry mark on the side door to my garage. I just spent two hours reinforcing that door frame. I too believe in the concept of using a vehicle to secure a building. Being I live out in the country on the legendary  old 66 highway, I have more room than most. I usually block the entrance to the side door with my Motor Home and enclosed trailer. The garage door itself is blocked with two vans. And those are all blocked with my other two vans, my 4 wheel drive truck, a jeep and my Blazer suv. Then my son has his car and suv, my wife`s  truck and for some reason I cannot get rid of my oldest daughter this last year, so I have two more vehicles with her. So with too many vehicles to move and a thief never knowing who`s home, I have been pretty lucky with no big thefts. Though I am missing a floor jack this week. 

1 minute ago, lineaway said:

Funny since I started reading this thread, I noticed there was a pry mark on the side door to my garage. I just spent two hours reinforcing that door frame. I too believe in the concept of using a vehicle to secure a building. Being I live out in the country on the legendary  old 66 highway, I have more room than most. I usually block the entrance to the side door with my Motor Home and enclosed trailer. The garage door itself is blocked with two vans. And those are all blocked with my other two vans, my 4 wheel drive truck, a jeep and my Blazer suv. Then my son has his car and suv, my wife`s  truck and for some reason I cannot get rid of my oldest daughter this last year, so I have two more vehicles with her. So with too many vehicles to move and a thief never knowing who`s home, I have been pretty lucky with no big thefts. Though I am missing a floor jack this week. 

Ah and you have guns! Do mean trolley jack or do you literally jack up your floor?

Guns ... that is not the best solution ... can get you in trouble.

Best solution is a road registered bike and an electric driven rolling gate or door because:

easy to close and open just by key or transponder, in holidays you can even shut down the electric supply,

very difficult to open if closed without electricity, if you try it it will get noisy.

I never heard of burglars trying to open electric rolling gates section gates and.doors of course also standard garage gates, but rolling gates ... my advice in this department beside good insurance.

• Like 1

One rule I try to adhere by is to be invisible. Don't leave the garage door open when washing the car/mowing the lawn/whatever. My van doesn't have any stickers on it. Keep your trailer out of sight. Passersby don't know what I've got, and I like to keep it that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, blow_away said:

One rule I try to adhere by is to be invisible. Don't leave the garage door open when washing the car/mowing the lawn/whatever. My van doesn't have any stickers on it. Keep your trailer out of sight. Passersby don't know what I've got, and I like to keep it that way.

To stickers I would suggest instead of any motorcycle brand to put also non or some big ones with the sentence "Pipe Cleaning Service" on the sides, that should keep off easy

On 12/29/2018 at 6:38 PM, totty79 said:

I had a brake in with the locks in the link above, they simply bent the door. You need to prevent that with other devices or maybe by bracing between them.

I've used them again on the new door, but into the ground not the frame and with a bar locked down on front of them.

The instructions have you position the locks approx 300mm from ground, where were your original locks positioned ?

10 minutes ago, totty79 said:

They were fitted as instructed. They only wound out into the wood frame though and the door was weak enough to bend.

They are subtle, but if left accessible could be cut with a grinder.

Thanks for the info, I'll look at reinforcing the door with box section or similar. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 6:27 PM, pschrauber said:

Guns ... that is not the best solution ... can get you in trouble.

Best solution is a road registered bike and an electric driven rolling gate or door because:

easy to close and open just by key or transponder, in holidays you can even shut down the electric supply,

very difficult to open if closed without electricity, if you try it it will get noisy.

I never heard of burglars trying to open electric rolling gates section gates and.doors of course also standard garage gates, but rolling gates ... my advice in this department beside good insurance.

I dunno, they are a pretty good deterrent here in lower Alabama.  Not trying to start a gun debate.  Every drughead or crook knows there's a 50/50 chance that whomever they are stealing from has a gun within arm's reach.  It isn't seen here as everyone being under some kind of threat, so has a gun out of fear.  People here see having guns as a protected right.  They aren't threatening anyone with them, they just have them for sport, hunting and protecting their families (and it's a vert good deterrent when so many have them)

Whether we're not home or not, we also have Ring doorbell and floodlight cameras that alert our phones if they detect any activity. These are proactive and inexpensive.