EFI OSSAs: How many were actually produced?

konrad

If this topic has been discussed elsewhere, I could not find it. 

I'm curious how many bikes (and of what type) were actually produced.  If the numbers are unknown, maybe we can estimate them from VINs?

I think my 2011 280 was a very early arrival in the US.   Its VIN ends in 165.

Same with my 2014 250, its VIN ends in 35.

Intrigued to know why you need this information. 1250 units was the planned initial target for the 272cc model, which at the time was said to be the worlds lightest trials bike at 64.5kg empty, if that included transmission oils empty as well is not clear. There was another batch production target of 2500 but I do not know if this was ever achieved. Still a beautiful creation in my opinion?

1 hour ago, section swept said:

Intrigued to know why you need this information.

Curiosity, mostly.  But also to get an idea how many potential donor bikes might exist -- I'd like to keep mine running until they're considered "vintage."  ?

I have also read the 1250 number, but think it's optimistic.

Inside the gearbox on my 2011 280 there's some CNC engraving that says "T.A.S. 212 10/49".   I'm wondering if that means it was the 10th engine in a production run of 49 good castings?  I assumed the runs would be small, but that quantity does not seem economical.  My 2014 250 says "13/25".

Edited by konrad

5 hours ago, konrad said:

Curiosity, mostly.  But also to get an idea how many potential donor bikes might exist -- I'd like to keep mine running until they're considered "vintage."  ?

Inside the gearbox on my 2011 280 there's some CNC engraving that says "T.A.S. 212 10/49".   I'm wondering if that means it was the 10th engine in a production run of 49 good castings?  I assumed the runs would be small, but that quantity does not seem economical.  My 2014 250 says "13/25".

The company might have actually produced quite a few more bikes than was declared on the accountants balance sheets, money being needed etc etc. I would not be too surprised to find that some bikes carried the same frame numbers etc. or no numbers at all! I could be wrong and would not want to accuse anyone of milking the production figures.

20 hours ago, konrad said:

im sure donor bikes are the way to go to keep them running. Birketts here in the uk still have some spares I think. You should be able to get a broken one cheap enough but bet there are less than 50 in the united states? Did lewis sport ever have anything to do with them?

6 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Did lewis sport ever have anything to do with them?

Yes, and still does.

My understanding is that Curtis Leaverton, a big player in aftermarket parts here in the US http://www.pivotworks.com/CompanyHistory.aspx  was the original importer.

Curt is still into classic OSSAs  https://www.vintco.biz/ossa-world

Edited by konrad
Just figured out how to use clickable links here.