Trying out a new bike - but where?

boner

In threads which discuss what new bike to get, more or less everyone suggests go out and try them to decide, which I totally understand and agree with. 

But, my question is where am I able to try out these bikes?!?

Thanks - Boner

1 hour ago, boner said:

In threads which discuss what new bike to get, more or less everyone suggests go out and try them to decide, which I totally understand and agree with. 

But, my question is where am I able to try out these bikes?!?

Thanks - Boner

Well as you're in the same apple county as myself, I would say BVM.

I believe they still do a yearly test where you book slots on the models you want to try.

If a dealer is serious about selling, some will usually have test days or a small test area available to them. Dont expect a dealer to offer rides on just any new bike though as effectively firing up a new bike for a test ride renders it second hand....would you buy a brand new bike thats already been ridden by all and sundry. Its easier for tests to be had on used bikes for obvious reasons. Demonstrator bikes ...which one of the range should the dealer commit to as this is an investment down to him, with little financial help from the factory/importer. Plonking a trade plate onto a trials bike is not the same as for a road bike, its up to the dealer to assess their customers intent, riding on the road gives little idea as to the bikes abilities. 

If you mean a new to you bike but second hand then by mutual agreement the seller private or otherwise may allow you to test the bike, if an area is available. I used to have a compound at the rear of my shop for just such a purpose, with a skip and a few obstacles to negotiate. Police station next door so noise had to be controlled. I also used to advertise test weekends where a local quarry owner allowed me full use of the area where they trained earth moving equipment operators. This had ample parking for customers that came from far and wide. Here the importer was very helpful in providing a few bikes from their press fleet. Happy days?

6 hours ago, rotors7 said:

Well as you're in the same apple county as myself, I would say BVM.

I believe they still do a yearly test where you book slots on the models you want to try.

BVM had their test/open day a few weeks ago, not sure if they have more than one but worth an ask.

• 1 month later...