Crash helmets

Team 65

According to the ACU, "Trials competitors may use any appropriate helmet".  You may or may not find somewhere in the regs what they consider to be appropriate.  As your pudding bowl is still entirely legal for use on the road I think it could be seen as appropriate - certainly more so than the bicycle helmets some trials competitors wear where the design level of protection (from a 12 mph blow) is exceeded if you fall over whilst stationary (12 mph being the speed your head would hit the ground in such a fall).  Puts things in to perspective a bit.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

14 hours ago, Team 65 said:

I intend to ride a club trial in 2019 could I use my 1969 pudding basin helmet as ACU tag still in it or will I have to buy a modern helmet

How much do you value your head, enough to use an extremely old out of date helmet....even though it may look cool or in period....If its 1969 its probably cork lined and the fibre glass is possibly degenerating as I type this! Keep it for display but dont use it. Compared to a new purpose designed trials helmet it will be quite heavy in comparison??

20 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Wasn’t it Martin Brundle who said “If you’ve got a £5 head, buy a £5 helmet.”?

no, bell helmets advertising department in the 70s.

for what its worth though, i did my first few trials in my helmet from the 90s but just before christmas bought a modern trials helmet and its so much nicer. polycarb ones really are cheap and there are some old stock last years graphics bargains to be found if you hunt around.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

When I first rode hardly anyone wore a helmet even on the road!!!....... I did,  but not for trials, only a flat cap. 

I do have to say that my modern helmet has a nasty big scratch where I went over backwards onto some rocks when my bike stalled, so I wasn't going very fast but it does remind me what can happen.

• 2 years later...

Turbo

You are so right!

Had an elderly Scottish on the road in the late 1960s and the combination of agricultural machine design, leading link forks and trials tyres was always "interesting" ... particularly if rain was only even threatened! Rest assured I'll be a fair weather user of my latest acquisition .... On the roads at least!

ATB

• Like 1