Buying a Beta

MarkLathrope

Buying a second hand beta 2006 

guys you herd this a million times 

before what should I look out for any specific tips 

I’ve looked the bike over seems ok  seems as though might have a little oil leak around gear selection output shaft 

forks seals ok ? 

swing arms bearings said to been done and wheels bearings 4 weeks ago

how can I check the engine  fires up good from cold does seems a little noisy also. There no history of piston change or ring  what else can I check ???

thanks mark 

I have a 2006 that had some of the worst problems you can have.  Now the bike runs like a top starts first or second kick even in the cold.  Pulls hard, is fun and everything works well.  I think the bikes are great, I love mine.

20181002_164043.jpg

First, the coolant system had rotted the left side cover and water pump cover.  Pretty simple fix, parts available.

IMG_1896.JPG

IMG_1909.JPG

IMG_1917.JPG

The kickstarter gear, water pump gear and idler gear were all missing a tooth.

IMG_1946.JPG

20160309_155131.jpg

IMG_1947.JPG

20160309_154828.jpg

Does the bike look presentable and appear maintained,no loose spokes,chain and sprockets ok,no play in swing arm or wheel bearings or chewed up bolts?Does the rear shock still have damping or is it a pogo stick.The clutch will probably stick/drag when cold,wants to be ok when hot.Does the fan switch on when hot,do all the gears select and stay in under load.Take a knowledgeable mate with you to view it in case you miss something?They don't always run very clean but it shouldn't rumble or knock and should have good compression on the kickstart.How much is it,wouldn't put it above £1300,less if it needs work