gasgas 250cc trails bike 1993 gt series help

r1chard06

having a few problems with a bike i just bought its leaking from the coolant resevour and the water is boiling it needs a new resevour but gasgas say you cant get them anymore any sugestions and ithink its boiling over becouse tank not presurising its been looked at before as the thermostat has been bypassed and fan runs perminatly ant ideas how to put back to standad im also looking for a water pump upgrade but cant find any info on doing so plz plz plz help

Have you checked if the impeller even works? Good chance it is just spinning on the shaft or corroded. Also if is this bad the head could be leaking. The reservoir could be made from just about any bottle off any old bike. The fan running permanently is not really a problem. If it has been looked at before, they probably determined it was not worth fixing.

Plz plz do a search on here at TC or Google for manufacturers msnuals, specs and details, you may even find a replacement or alternatives for the damaged cooling items you mention.

It sounds as though this machine has been bodged up. There is no sudden quick fix for this engine cooling problem. The head gasket has probably blown and is part of the boiling issue, compression is leaking into the cooling system and forcing coolant out. The coolant by the way should be an anti-freeze and water mix at about 50/50 ratio ( the a/f raises the boiling point of water and as the cooling system only holds marginally enough capacity to actually cool the engine is an important component). The fact there has been previous work done needs careful investigation. As lineaway suggests having the cooling fan running all the while isn’t a problem.

Putting the bike back to standard....remove all the bodge stuff and decide how much you can afford to pay for spares and repairs. This all may seem a bit straight forward but you need to ask yourself what condition is the engine in....cylinder bore and head for a start. Hope you can find what you need. 

When I had one of these there was an issue with the header tank cap not sealing. This in turn allowed boiling/overflowing of coolant. Some riders fitted a large jubilee clip round the cap to squeeze it tight against the header tank threads. As above though, it could be any number of things on a gas gas of this vintage, they weren't built well back then, its a brave move buying one now.

I right I looked a bit deeper I checked head gasket and seamed fine but I have replaced it I have checked pump and spins fine I have replaced radiator and pipes no blockages there coolant tank replaced still boils over could it be air locked what’s correct bleed procedure for these also although fan has been wired permanently bypassing thermostat I noticed wen you drop revs or ideal fan doesn’t spin fast