Twin shock project

Junglejeff

• 3 months later...

Been awhile since I posted here.Bike is running great and working on installing yz front brake as I tried everything with stock front brakes.I removed flywheel weight.I find I want some back so going to machine down 50% and put back on.me and a friend rebuilt our ty,s at same time but he used a wisco piston.His bike has some piston slap and my wossner does not.Have ran bike stock now and going to increase compression a bit.Looking to have just a tad more bite off the bottom but only want a little bit more.Bike starts 1st kick every time and is a blast to ride.Going to do 1 or 2 vintage meets with it next month. It is taking alot of dinking around to fit that front brake(77 TT500 wheel and 1980 brake plate).I hope it was worth it.

20190619_214625.jpg

Screenshot_20190814-205153_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

I have found the front brake on the Ty 250 more than adequate for classic sections, well maintained I really do not  see the fascination with having to fit motocross brakes, are they really needed,  more so for the feel good factor and nothing else.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I fitted Yamaha DT/MX hubs to my Majesty, initially because they were the closest visually to Mick's works hubs at the time, but I was pleasantly surprised how much better the brakes were compared to the original hubs.

CIMG0508.JPG

• Like 6

7 hours ago, metisse said:

That is a nice Majesty.... Re leading whatever brakes, wasn't there a rule back when,  that didn t allow use in trials,in the Uk, or am I just getting old and senile.. 

Thanks.

I didn't have any problems with the hubs as they were from the same era.

The hubs look great, but brake plates from " Scramblers " were not allowed or so I thought...if they had double cams.. or leading.. and can t remember the term.. Can someone with a better memory confirm whether that was true, still is,  or in fact I had dream't it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, metisse said:

The hubs look great, but brake plates from " Scramblers " were not allowed or so I thought...if they had double cams.. or leading.. and can t remember the term.. Can someone with a better memory confirm whether that was true, still is,  or in fact I had dream't it.

Apologies, I should have made clear that the hubs I used were single cam, standard actuation

CIMG0477.JPG

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2019 at 2:39 AM, metisse said:

I have found the front brake on the Ty 250 more than adequate for classic sections, well maintained I really do not  see the fascination with having to fit motocross brakes, are they really needed,  more so for the feel good factor and nothing else.....

I fit them because the stock front brake sucked even after being reworked. I ride modern intermediate lines with bike that push the old girl pretty hard.I see no issues with making bike work better and even did it with period correct parts.Had nothing to do with any kind of feel good factor. 

On 8/22/2019 at 11:59 AM, shakennstirred said:

In my local club you cant use twin leading shoe brakes on twinshocks

The club I am in has simply rules for twin shock.Cable operated drum brakes,twin shock(or hard tail)aircooled motor. My bike is not legal for AMA vintage meets because of twin brakes and laid down shock.I just built it for fun and using it in a few meets in our club.Most are 2 day events so I do vintage one day and modern with my GG the other.There are only 6 of us doing twin shock unfortunately but a fun group to ride with.The intermediate lines we must ride are allowed 3ft verticals and can be harsh on these old bikes.Some of the big cliff meets I will not ride this old girl.Cool bike and don't want to wreck it.The pick is a excellent rider on a ty175. He is a expert rider and the top 2 riders in twin shock always smoke the intermediate modern scores.Unreal how these guys can make these old girls dance. 

20190915_121633.jpg

3 hours ago, Junglejeff said:

The club I am in has simply rules for twin shock.Cable operated drum brakes,twin shock(or hard tail)aircooled motor. My bike is not legal for AMA vintage meets because of twin brakes and laid down shock.I just built it for fun and using it in a few meets in our club.Most are 2 day events so I do vintage one day and modern with my GG the other.There are only 6 of us doing twin shock unfortunately but a fun group to ride with.The intermediate lines we must ride are allowed 3ft verticals and can be harsh on these old bikes.Some of the big cliff meets I will not ride this old girl.Cool bike and don't want to wreck it.The pick is a excellent rider on a ty175. He is a expert rider and the top 2 riders in twin shock always smoke the intermediate modern scores.Unreal how these guys can make these old girls dance. 

20190915_121633.jpg

Anything on YouTube, I'd be interested in seeing the sections.

On 11/8/2019 at 6:19 PM, Junglejeff said:

I fit them because the stock front brake sucked even after being reworked. I ride modern intermediate lines with bike that push the old girl pretty hard.I see no issues with making bike work better and even did it with period correct parts.Had nothing to do with any kind of feel good factor. 

Why dont you just stick a disc on the front of it if your feeling a little ' Toni Bou ' that will stop you even quicker. I am impressed you can get up a three foot step.....