Hello from Coventry

Badger70

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to trials but have been riding bikes on road and track for some years. I am looking to take up trials riding and also to teach my 11 year old daughter to ride bikes and get her off her phone for longer than 5 minutes..

I will probably get a GasGas or Beta 250 but i am not sure what bike is suitable for my daughter. Any recommendations?

Are there places/clubs to ride in West Midlands or Warwickshire suitable for beginners and maybe to get some training?

Thanks in advance,
Darren

Best ask your daughter first if she actually wants to learn to ride. Mobile phones are the norm now, expected to be used in class to aide learning....utter crap.....just distracts the learner from the subject being taught, also prevents the art of conversation between face to face humans. 

There are quite a few clubs in your area, a search on Google should give you a selection.

What bike you get for your daughter assuming she can tear herself away from the mobile depends on many factors, depending on her stature will have a bearing on the type of bike. Costs will be another consideration, an 80cc bike might be a starting point. If you are going to encourage her to compete then you best check the rules. 

Getting her kitted out with the right riding apparel is going to be like buying a dress for your other half with no idea of colour and no sizes to go by? have fun with that. 

Get her to check out some trials on her phone, female riders too and then take her to a trial or two before committing to bike etc.

I sincerely hope that your daughter gets the trials bug as the sport needs more young people to get involved.??

My experience is that at age 11 get her a go on an oset 20 to try out even if to just to get the response "dad,  can i have another go". No having to deal with kick starting, hot exhausts, no u se etc.. Can be dialed down to walking pace and has brakes that she may be used to from cycling. The likely smile on the face will be what you want to see.  I have an Oset 20 as one of my come and try bikes that i use even for small adults to have a go on.  No one has ever said "i didn't enjoy that". See whether you can find someone or a club that can help you try as a trip downunder might not fit the budget to try. Also, better to be too big on a small bike than too small for a big bike. Have fun.

Thanks for the responses and good advice. She's keen to have a go on a bike, she's watched me on them for years and asked me if she could learn. Whether trials will be her thing i am not sure, but i'm taking her to a local trials club soon so she can see whats trials riding is like and decide for herself. 

If she wants to give it a go I will find somewhere she can get a try one out with some basic training and see if she gets the bug. The oset 20 looks a great bike for a child or beginner to start on so i'll keep those in mind if she's serious about it.

Cheers