Brand New to Trials.

Jps385

Hi Guys, totally new to the sport. I have a RE cafe racer and a RE Himalayan, but I fancy something a little different that looks to be great fun. I’ve booked an all day trials experience in a few weeks and can’t wait. If all goes well I’ll be looking for a bike. I’ve seen the tow bar attachments for transporting the bikes. Are these adequate for transportation? It seems like a lot of weight on the tow bar... ? If so, can anyone recommend a quality brand? 

Thanks Guys.

I started with a trials experience day too, just to make sure I was going to like it before spending proper money. Definitely the way to put a toe in the water, I think.

Personally I have reservations about bike racks but lots of people love them. Look in the Transport sub-forum for some lengthy discussions. I believe Dave Cooper is the only commercial manufacturer. He also builds trailers.

As it happens, I’ve just sold the Fantic, but not because I had fallen out of love. Being a wobbler of mature years and a beginner into the bargain, I could see that the classic clubs run the sort of trials I want to do. So I decided to get a twinshock and everyone said a Fantic 200 was the best. I have certainly had a very happy time with it: steers well, nice soft power delivery, adequate performance but didn’t want to kill me. A year on from buying it, I’ve decided to get a modern bike. If you fancy twinshock, I would recommend the Fantic without hesitation (and I no longer have one to sell ?).

There’s definitely something about the retro bikes out there. I’m looking at the newer bikes on eBay and on the classifieds here, but will hang on until I know a lot more about the sport and my requirements before jumping in. Thanks for your help this far mate. All the best and hope you enjoy the new bike!

You do realise that, in a cost cutting measure, the modern bikes do not have seats.   If you want all the usual motorcycle facilities, you will have to choose a classic bike, and ride the simpler classic club events.   So find yourself the nearest Bike Club, and get yourself the necessary 2019 ACU License...  Then you are all set for a good year of sport.

The Car Bike Racks are Ok, I have used them for transporting bikes as far as Cornwall to N Wales.   They do flex a little, so you have to reduce your normal driving speed to cope with the bumps.