Age (and lack of riding) related aches

NAD1

Went for a practice for couple of hours today and now have really sore / achy knees. First time on bike since October (I’d guess) so am assuming this is a combination of total lack of riding - 2 evening trials in 2018 and 2/3 of a centre champ round before torn calf muscle stopped play - and age combining as a double whammy to tag team me in the knees. 

Will ice knees tonight and hopefully cure  

Any remedies to help this for future reference? Or should I just not ride at all and avoid the knee issues ???

6 minutes ago, nickday1 said:

Went for a practice for couple of hours today and now have really sore / achy knees. First time on bike since October (I’d guess) so am assuming this is a combination of total lack of riding - 2 evening trials in 2018 and 2/3 of a centre champ round before torn calf muscle stopped play - and age combining as a double whammy to tag team me in the knees. 

Any remedies to help this for future reference? Or should I just not ride at all and avoid the knee issues ???

Fish oil pills,glucosamine, knee braces,drink alot of water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nickday1 said:

Will ice knees tonight  

Any remedies to help this for future reference?

I recommend a thin  layer of marzipan before you ice your knees ....the icing sticks better and dogs love it.

As for remedies try neoprene knee supports with or without wire side supports  from a manufacturer like EVS at  Chain Reaction in N. Ireland.

• Haha 2

May not be the exact same problem, but I had severe knee problems attempting the Yorkshire 3 peaks a couple of years back.

The knees are stabilised by the Glutes in your bum, via the Illiotibial Band down the outside of your thigh.

I now do three exercises specifically designed to strengthen glutes and also my quads:

Lateral leg lifts

Clam shell knee lift, with training band

heel drops

These alone completely cured my knee problems and I believe contribute to knee fitness for trials as well.

You can also try squats and lunges.

21 hours ago, nickday1 said:

Ride more often.. 

• Haha 1