No Rear Wheel Lift?

mcman56

Sometimes I can get over this obstacle without smacking the foot peg mounts and kick stand bracket but mostly they hit.  There is no rear wheel lift.  What am I doing wrong?  (I think it is everything but everything is hard to work on.)  The one time you don't hear the hit, the front tire deforms a little so impact does help.  How do you safely impact a sharp obstacle like that.  Do you need to come down on it rather than hit the face or....?    

• 2 weeks later...

You have to jump. Like, bend your knees, touch your ass to the rear fender, and explode up kind of jump. The bike doesn't do all the work, as much as we'd like it to. Your second throttle input is also too weak and a little late. If your weight is still on the pegs when you do your second burst of throttle, the bike isn't going anywhere but forward. 

Give it another 1000 attempts, that's about how long it takes to figure out... probably more actually, depending on how old you are. I've lost count.

One thing you might want to practice is your static zap. Since you're stopped you have a lot more time to really think about your timing. Obviously start smaller :) 

https://youtu.be/N6o-k0ISfSA?t=64

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 12:13 PM, heffergm said:

Give it another 1000 attempts, that's about how long it takes to figure out.

Yep I agree.  I must be getting up toward 1000 and it's not solved but definitely improving a lot so I'll just keep trying..

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

start your lift the same distance back as the height, compress front wheel into the top of the face, as it rebounds unweight and another quick blip of throttle for momentum, the back wheel and guard should come up at hit your bum, if you unweight correctly. 

• 2 months later...

I was trying to do the technique of having the rear wheel hit the same spot as the front by popping the clutch but I couldn't get much lift on my 12 year old bike. I bought an even older bike but with much less hours and more bite on the clutch and I was able to get much more lift.

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2019 at 12:13 AM, heffergm said:

[...] If your weight is still on the pegs when you do your second burst of throttle, the bike isn't going anywhere but forward.[...]

That's exactly what I am doing wrong also (my guess). It is so difficult to find the right timing (or better coordination) of throttle, unweighing and clutch.

Where is your focal point when doing a zap?

I noticed that I'm getting over a good sized log off the ground fairly easily so am likely getting some lift there.  There is a little hill a couple of feet behind the log and I am focusing on getting the front wheel on top of the hill rather than stuffing it into the hill.  The focus is the angle of the bike and destination.  The undercut areas I have been trying to zap don't really have anything behind them to focus on.  I'm just focused on the edge of the step and using my legs.  Mostly, I end up hitting the back of the bash plate (which is right under my legs) on the edge   I'm concerned that I'm doing what someone recently told me was an MX saying, "look down, fall down.....instead of.....look forward, go forward".       

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mcman56 said:

Where is your focal point when doing a zap?

I noticed that I'm getting over a good sized log off the ground fairly easily so am likely getting some lift there.  There is a little hill a couple of feet behind the log and I am focusing on getting the front wheel on top of the hill rather than stuffing it into the hill.  The focus is the angle of the bike and destination.  The undercut areas I have been trying to zap don't really have anything behind them to focus on.  I'm just focused on the edge of the step and using my legs.  Mostly, I end up hitting the back of the bash plate (which is right under my legs) on the edge   I'm concerned that I'm doing what someone recently told me was an MX saying, "look down, fall down.....instead of.....look forward, go forward".       

At first I am looking behind the obstacle, then I concentrate on getting the frontwheel placed in the top third of the log and then I am looking further forward.

My problem is the timing/coordination of throttle, unweighing and clutch. It should be possible to practice it without the bike but I didn't get it managed right.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn’t be too critical of your current riding style, especially over ‘that’ obstacle....you clear it with minimum fuss. Most of the noise is suspension and chain whipping. Looks pretty much how most would ride over that type of hard edge. Maybe practice on a flat surface just kicking the rear up slightly with body weight transfer, a bit like a see-saw action from you using the bars to push your weight against and legs to try and bounce upwards ( a*** in the air style) once the rear starts to come up inertia and the suspension unloading momentarily will do the rest. Personally if you are clearing the obstacle you will only see it or its type for every lap, not dozens of times. You’ve obviously thought about this particular issue a lot, so you have planned to clean it, then ridden to clean it, mission accomplished. Now move onto increase your other skills. Also bear in mind your bike is a little heavier than the 2T bikes so reaction from the bike will be a tad slower, but that comes into the planning part???

• Like 1