New trials rider, old SY175 questions

snappster

After lurking for some time I got my first trials bike, a 2006 SY175. Started the basic maintenance and I have some questions you SY guys probably can answer.

1)Where is the oil "filter" and how is it accessed?

2) Where can I obtain several air filter elements? Mine has a hole right along one edge of the rectangular filter plastic frame.

3) Is there a shop manual for the bike? How to get it? Would a TTR125 manual work for the engine?

4) What to do with the nut that holds the back of the fuel tank, it is spinning and lining up the bolt through the fender is not working well? I am considering removing that nut and replacing it with a hex nut and washer.

5) Remind me what the valve clearance spec is, I read it somewhere but forgot the numbers.

I guess this is enough to start me off. I may ask more questions, about the carb and jetting next time as the bike is very cold blooded not taking any throttle until quite warm. I just picked it up yesterday and can't wait to fool around on it.

Scorpa1.jpg

Hello, I've got  your bikes double and have run it since new.

There's no oil filter just change it every 20 rides or so and watch and not strip the drain bolt.

The filters are common to most Scorpas 0f that era 2ts too so any decent trials shop should stock them the air box is good but tape the space between the exhaust and the mudguard and where the the box and mudguard meet.

Trust me you wont need a manual nothing goes wrong but they're the same motor as the TT125.

The captive nut that holds the tank is a pain mine still works can't really suggest anything.

Never checked the valve clearances and I'll bet mines done more Trials than any single bike in Scotland so no help here.

Bikes no power until it's warm, always been that way but once hot fine, most fiddle with jetting but mine is stock and runs better than any of the others I've tried.

Just ride it and forget about it wish mine looked as good as yours, 

Good info so far. I talked with Mike at tryalsshop and ordered an air filter, 17.5 pilot jet, and a spark plug.  Rode a few laps around the front yard just to start getting used to riding a trials bike and thinking about all those videos I have watched on youtube, etc. Having attempted a few trials sections on my klx250 I am already cognizant of the better slow handling and ease of the SY. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

Bike is running much better with a new 17.5 jet, air filter, and spark plug. Went 3 full turns out on the idle screw. Choke off in 30 sec. and full throttle in a couple of min. without stumbling. Bike already had a 17.5 but it was mostly obstructed so the new one went in. Getting better at installing the tank and fender. Improving my balance and turning in the yard. It was a good day fo sho. Looking forward to riding somewhere better but it's crazy how tight this bike turns in my tiny yard; there is enough room for a workout.

• Like 1

Anyone have a recommendation on spark arrestors to fit my apparently stock exhaust? Are they all the same? Legal? Quality? How will an arrestor impact my engine's performance? I would expect a loss of power and a richer F/A ratio. So far I have not needed one but if/when I ride alone in the woods I would feel better knowing I ride at a reduced risk of fire.

I wouldn't worry about a spark arrestor too much. You stand a greater chance of starting a fire by dropping your bike and the hot header pipe igniting some dry leaves and being accelerated by some gas coming out your carb overflow( and this is actually very low risk), than an errant spark from your exhaust.  If you are sure you want one, the Tryals Shop might be able to help, or make a simple screen insert for your end cap.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:31 AM, oni nou said:

Google www.birkettmotorsport.com   go to head of page and clic on Scorpa then clic on Parts Books ...In the middle part of that page is some set up information for your bike.

Thanks. I will look into hell team too. Can someone give me an idea on what the suspension sag should be? I am bottoming my fork from wheelies, no drops, just practicing in my yard. Using all 6 inches dropping down from wheelie practice. Preload is all the way down. Seems to me that I could use new springs. Front sag is at 2.75" fork travel. probably need fork oil too but I hate to take the bike down when I want to ride it.

2 hours ago, snappster said:

Thanks. I will look into hell team too. Can someone give me an idea on what the suspension sag should be? I am bottoming my fork from wheelies, no drops, just practicing in my yard. Using all 6 inches dropping down from wheelie practice. Preload is all the way down. Seems to me that I could use new springs. Front sag is at 2.75" fork travel. probably need fork oil too but I hate to take the bike down when I want to ride it.

Sounds about right if, due to inexperience, you are slamming the front end down.

3 hours ago, oni nou said:

There is something wrong with your forks ......no oil or some other problem......... your PAIOLI forks should not bottom out just dropping the front wheel from a wheelie unless you weigh 560lbs and when you are landing you are pushing all your weight onto the handlebar.

Interesting, Tryals shop Mike seemed unconcerned when I described the fork bottoming to him saying there were no stiffer springs and he thought they were fine and he is heavier then me. I think it is time for a fork oil change this weekend since I now have the exploded drawings for reference.  I only weigh around 190 dressed and my weight is towards the rear throughout my attempts at wheelies following suspension compression. Anyone want to tell me the normal, accepted way to drain and fill the Paioli forks? Oil weight, quantity, and height? Thanks, Dave