Opinion for a nice start

Nastys

Hi, 

I'm looking to start trial long time ago, so I 'm ready now to buy a bike and learn this nice sport.

So, I called some shop and I have different opinion for a first bike and that is not easy for the choice. One shop say me to start with a 125 and the other with a 250, for remember, I m 35 years old, 1m77 for 65 kg and did some trial with bicycle when I was young, some cross with bad memory ( lot of power and control was... Not very fine) and some ride with Ducati on the road. 

The deal is take pleasure to riding, only trial, learn the basic, slow wheelie, jump on rock.. But with smooth move, I don't want to ride with fear like my 250 Cr Honda.. 

What's your opinion? For the brand, gas gas 2017 ou scorpa 2016,2017 or 2018, depend what is on the market. 

Thanks for help and sorry for my school English level :)

I'll always recommend  a 125 to start.... I started a Novice at 62, with a lifetime of enduro experience.  I'm on my third bike and have stuck with a 125, as it hasn't limited my advancement to Intermediate level. 

The way they are geared, makes for a slow ground speed in first gear. This makes the bike easier to control and gives you more time to prepare for a hazard in a section. A 125 is easy to start, and as a Novice... you'll stall a good bit. The power is more manageable, even with a white(fast turn) throttle tube. It is still quite adequate and will bring the front wheel up without the clutch. If you do outgrow it, a 125 has a good resale. They are built in smaller numbers and the demand for used 125 bikes is good.  Good luck in your search!

• Like 2

250 gg, the 125 is for people who are likely to kill themselves when they open the throttle. If you've ridden bikes before, this isn't you, and at 35 you will soon get bored of the extra work needed to get the same level of fun from it

I'm on my third bike and have stuck with a 125, as it hasn't limited my advancement to Intermediate level. 

Is that why you are still a novice??

A 125 is easy to start, and as a Novice... you'll stall a good bit.

a 125 has a good resale. They are built in smaller numbers and the demand for used 125 bikes is good. 

Hence don't get a 125, nothing easier stalled than a 125,

A 250 has much much better resale value! The most in demand used bike there is

Edited by faussy

2 minutes ago, nhuskys said:

An argument as old as the ages.... we'll agree to disagree.

Are you really saying a 250 is easier stalled than a 125?

Go into any dealer and its filled with second hand 125s and 300s that they cant get rid of

Edited by faussy

No. Just speaking to your general argument that a 125 isn't suitable.  I've ridden tiddlers for years.... Enduro, MX, on the road, so I'm used to them and prefer them. I've owned 250 twin shock Trials bikes and 250 and open class Enduro and MX bikes. I've owned 1000cc Sport Bikes. We'll leave it at that.

That's not help me ?.. 

But yes, some guys say me 125 is for youth or women.. But I'm not a heavy man.. The question is for up the front wheel, my 80 kx was very nervous to do a wheelie, the 350 klx was more easy and up more slowly but it's not in the same range 

Sorry lol. 

Theres no doubt a 125 will be safer to ride, but if you have ridden bikes before and are eager to progress quickly, you may quickly outgrow the 125. If you live in a place with lots of hills and are the type of guy who likes to blast up and down hills don't bother with the 125

Edited by faussy

5 minutes ago, heffergm said:

This isn't a hard decision. If you've ridden before, and you want something to have fun on that is suitable at almost all skill levels, get a 250.

Thanks, yes lot of time on 2 wheels but 15 years ago! Never tried a 250,hope it's not too hard for control the throttle.. Backflip is not in my skill level ?

Beta EVO 250 , Slow throttle, flywheel weight. Sooo...... easy to ride. Best & most plentiful option out there. Sales don't lie.( IMHO) . Are you going to enter any trials ???. 125's an acquired taste, need to be worked,  & you will be in a minority unless schoolboy class. Guarantee you'll want to move up to a 250 fairly soon if you went down 125 route. (280's & 300's for expert riders only.) Condition of bike is vital if buying second hand.  

A bike for you if have decent hills in your trials area is a 250 model. Riding on steep hills is harder on a 125 as you have to rev up the engines so much and you will find it harder to learn good throttle control.

If you are concerned about having too much power there are several ways to make a trials bike less aggressive such as lowering the compression, either with head spacers or low compression cylinder head inserts. Some people prefer a slow action throttle and a flywheel weight is often fitted. Even adjusting the fuel mixture has an appreciable effect.

The 2016 onwards Scorpa 250 which is slightly French is decent and easy to maintain and the one I would buy. Or you could buy a real French trials bike - The Electric Motion Sport which has three power settings quite close to the performance of all three common bike sizes, 125, 250 and 300. 

19 minutes ago, micm said:

A bike for you if have decent hills in your trials area is a 250 model. Riding on steep hills is harder on a 125 as you have to rev up the engines so much and you will find it harder to learn good throttle control.

If you are concerned about having too much power there are several ways to make a trials bike less aggressive such as lowering the compression, either with head spacers or low compression cylinder head inserts. Some people prefer a slow action throttle and a flywheel weight is often fitted. Even adjusting the fuel mixture has an appreciable effect.

The 2016 onwards Scorpa 250 which is slightly French is decent and easy to maintain and the one I would buy. Or you could buy a real French trials bike - The Electric Motion Sport which has three power settings quite close to the performance of all three common bike sizes, 125, 250 and 300. 

No hills here, only rock and sometime landscaped.. Don't live in the mountain. Scorpa have some good opinion I think for less money than the gas gas. 

I have seen beta but strange sensation with clutch and kick is at left. 

For the electric motion, the price is too expensive 5000 euros for a second hand and 8000 euros if I remember for a new one. Not the deal of the year