Sherpa t starting

twin shocks

Hi guys, have recently acquired a 1974 sherpa t 350 in near original condition. The problem I have is starting. There is plenty of spark and after removing the plug and priming the cylinder with a small amount of fuel the engine will fire and run drawing fuel from the carburettor. It revs freely and does not break down. However the engine will not idle after being warmed up, on shutting down will not re-start. It appears to lack the initial fuel delivery to the cylinder to start. The carby is Amal Concentric disassembled and cleaned 3 times. I would appreciate any input to solve this problem.

Regards Michael Leahy 

Thanks for the air box reply, time to help you.

I replaced the points ignition on my 199b with electronic ignition and ditched the Bing, I know yours is an Amal for a 26mm Mikuni, it starts second kick from cold and first prod when warm.

Ive spent ££££££ over the years rejecting old carbs and it’s IMHO a waste, your better putting your cash towards a new carb.

I know a lot of lads with Bultacos using the Oko carbs nowadays and they said they work straight out of the box.

The purists hate the electronic ignition and a well set up points Sherpa will start just as well, the thing with the electronic ignition is ‘fit and forget’.

• Like 1

After you’ve spent hours cleaning the carb send it away to be ultras sonically cleaned, it’s about the only way you will clean out all the old gunge and glaze. Hope it works for you twinshock ??.

Theres nothing more infuriating than riding a bike with poor carburation .

• Like 1

Hi, guys, success! Have the bike running sweet. Went another round of cleaning carby paying particular attention to pilot jet circuit.  After six or seven kicks displayed signs of life, another couple and fired up. Minor adjustments to pilot needle and idle settled everything.

Thank to you all for your suggestions.

Regards Michael

• Like 1