fork seal driver

Beta rev'3

Howdy,

I've a fork seal leaking has anyone used a fork seal driver ? I was looking at the Sealey MS016 35mm-55mm Fork seal Driver..I've never done one before but i've looked at a you tube video on it and it looks relatively simple even to my Limited Mechanics Skill Set...it's a Beta Evo 

Any thoughts ?

Best,

Mick

Have a look through this site as there are some different methods employed to achieve the same ends. You will pay a bit for the seal installer set and probably not get to use it very often. Some members have been very resourceful and used other items such as water pipe and scaffold poles suitably cut and modified. 

An alternative would be to go to your local bike dealer and ask if they would insert the seals for you....less than the driver set.....they might even let you use the installer. 

Before you go and fit the seals make sure there are no burrs, scratches etc that might cause issues. Silicone grease or rubber lube needs to be applied to the lip seals to prevent them sticking or tearing on the fork tubes.

I have the one that comes in two halves and you use it as a kind of slide hammer, it works just fine, I have done a few road bike seals (Vmax, XT660) and a Beta Techno and it's done well each time. I would reccomend masking taping the stanchions after you have slid the seal down to protect the surfaces as you hammer the driver up and down.

I’ve used PVC pipe cut to length with great success (no bunged seals). You have to be careful of the protruding lip on the wipers. I usually take a dremel to the inside edge to chamfer the inner edge of the PVC pipe to clear the wiper lip.

Edited by dan williams
Wanted to make clear it's the PVC I'm chamfering
  • Like 2