Trial bike in winter

Lefebvre

My 2018 Beta 200 Evo will go to the mechanic next week. I did no change for the rad coolant and it is as the dealer or Beta did for coolant inside the rad when I bought the bike. Is it safe to travel with the Evo in my trailer for 2 hours at -20C* outside. It is winter here. The coolant must be freezing proof as other bikes unless you change it? Thanks for your help.

Yep would get a antifreeze tester and test to how low temp. the coolant can go. The other method would be to get the bike from one warm place to the other to put some moving blankets around it, as a two hours route will not cool it down too much in a closed trailer. When it is an open trailer I would definetly mix the coolant to be valid for these low temperatures.

• Thanks 1

The chemical properties that are a part of the anti-freeze formulation can dissipate very quickly. The anti- freeze component will last indefinately but its ability to prevent freezing of the coolant, in other words its strength will reduce. The other main additives are the lubricant for the water pump seals, corrosion inhibiters that prevent the anti-freeze or the water from attacking the different materials within the interior of the cooling system. There are some vehicle manufacturer specific anti-freezes that can last as long as 5 years before they deteriorate. 

When you consider the small capacity of coolant contained in the trials bike cooling system it would be advantageous to change it at least once a year. So by that I would suggest that the coolant is changed at the onset of winter so there is a fresh anti-freeze mix to protect the system.?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lefebvre said:

My 2018 Beta 200 Evo will go to the mechanic next week. I did no change for the rad coolant and it is as the dealer or Beta did for coolant inside the rad when I bought the bike. Is it safe to travel with the Evo in my trailer for 2 hours at -20C* outside. It is winter here. The coolant must be freezing proof as other bikes unless you change it? Thanks for your help.

If you are cerain that the coolant has not been diluted by just topping up with water then you should be perfectly ok to expose the bike to the elements by trailer trip. If you wanted to you could lag (wrap) the main body of the bike in a duvet suitable tied down. This woukd also protect your bike from road debri thrown up by your tow vehicle and other road users.??

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lefebvre said:

Whilst the coolant may be OK you are dealing with temperatures way below what most of us have experience of.  If you are that worried then the obvious remedy is to take a few seconds and drain the fluid completely for transit. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2019 at 10:54 PM, michael_t said:

I would think it would be fine but you could ask your dealer. I never changed the coolant in my Sherco but I don't usually ride it much below -10c.

I would change it every 2 years, the corrosion inhibitor can "wear out" and lead to unwanted debris build up.

• Thanks 1