1989 Fantic 305 - Clutch Not Working

Leigh

Hi Guys,

Having a hassle with my clutch, it's an old bike and I am in the process of refurbishing it. The snag is I have no idea how yo open up the clutch and investigate what the actual problem is. 

Any help will be much appreciated, a manual, video or some pics. 

Thanks in advance!

Leigh

15477502934723867692758698052620.jpg

15477503359023979045264792350521.jpg

This parts list might help. Unfortunately there isn't a "how to" workshop manual available for this bike. I've attached the owners very similar 305 manual that does have some useful info.

The clutch is on the gear shift side. The cover is easily removed, you'll see the clutch basket with metal and friction plates inside.

Jugging from the overall condition of your project I'd say new plates, gear oil and control cable would be a good place to start to get the clutch working smoothly. All available from inmotion here in the UK who will send parts all over the world. 

I rescued a 307 in similar condition once and it was a fun project.

Just a heads up with the kickstart lever, I'd move it clockwise a couple of notches so it sits higher when folded in. You'll not hit your toe on it when using the rear brake. 

Fantic_307_parts_list.pdf

fantic_245_305_manual (1).pdf

5 hours ago, lineaway said:

The plates are probably just stuck together. Point it in a good direction and ride it with the clutch pulled in until it releases. It helps to use the brakes and/or a wheelie or two. Sometimes takes 10-15 minutes.

Too simple, people love a complicated solution !!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, b40rt said:

What's the problem ? Not disengaging ? Hydraulic, cable ? Clutch is on the other side.  

It's not disengaging when you pull the clutch in. The thing is it feels way too soft like it isn't working, then when I observe the shaft it moves perfectly fine. It's not hydraulic, its cable clutch. The tension just feels too soft... I will try the wheelie and riding around with brakes and see if that works. Bike has been standing for 4 years though... not sure if that changes the application of thought. Thank you for the manual, will really come in handy!! 

Is there an easy way to remove the armature plate underneath the right hand side motor cover? 

20190114_203926.jpg

20190114_203936.jpg

9 hours ago, fantic240motor said:

This parts list might help. Unfortunately there isn't a "how to" workshop manual available for this bike. I've attached the owners very similar 305 manual that does have some useful info.

The clutch is on the gear shift side. The cover is easily removed, you'll see the clutch basket with metal and friction plates inside.

Jugging from the overall condition of your project I'd say new plates, gear oil and control cable would be a good place to start to get the clutch working smoothly. All available from inmotion here in the UK who will send parts all over the world. 

I rescued a 307 in similar condition once and it was a fun project.

Just a heads up with the kickstart lever, I'd move it clockwise a couple of notches so it sits higher when folded in. You'll not hit your toe on it when using the rear brake. 

Fantic_307_parts_list.pdf

fantic_245_305_manual (1).pdf

The clutch cable motion rotates a shaft on the rear brake side(right) of the bike. Weird that the clutch assembly is on the left. 

Do I need a special tool to take it apart? 

21 minutes ago, b40rt said:

@Leigh see lineaway's  answer above, what you are describing is classic for a bike sitting unused. Unless the carb was dry when stored, chances are it will need stripped and cleaned. 

I've already done a full strip and clean on the carb and new cables and sheaths all round. Just worried about clutch now. So will see if I can remedy the problem.