Where does the headlight plug in in a 4RT?

boner

Could someone tell me how (or where) the 4RT headlight plugs in?

I’ve read about it being spliced into the map switch, which sounds a bit scary, and slightly unnecessary seeing as Honda supply it with plugs ready to hook up...

Thanks Boner.

Hey Boner,

I was wondering if u would ask about this. what year do u have, I ask because the headlight kit I purchased had a connector to plug in to a four pole weatherproof connector under the tank behind the headstock. It is the same connector that the map switch plugs into. The map switch is two wire, and the headlight is two wire connection. The problem is marrying the two together. My 2015 didn't have the map switch so it was an easy plug in, but I added the map switch at the same time as the headlight. I had to make a custom harness to plug both items into the same connector on the bike. If u look at the wiring harness diagram in the owners manual u will understand the wiring connections needed to wire both items. Or u can eliminate the map switch and plug in the headlight directly with no modifications. If u eliminate the map switch it leaves the ecu in full power mode. The map switch connects chassis ground to the map/sw. input for low power mode. The headlight is the 12v wire and chassis ground for voltage to run the light. To make my custom harness I sourced the proper weatherproof connector to match the bike from an electronics distributor along with the proper terminal pins and crimper and put it together, not easy but I am an electrician so I have a bit of an edge there. For the 2016 and newer bikes they should supply the harness with a new map switch included already wired to share the connector on the bike. Hope this helps understand it a bit better, I will keep watching to see if u have any additional questions . 

Good luck,

Maxwell

• Like 1

Thanks Maxwell.

It’s a L31 4ED, so has the map switch.

Having inspected the loom again, I can see where I could splice it into, but I’d rather not start bu99eribg around with the loom...

I think I might shelve the idea for the minute and run a number plate instead, and wear a head torch whilst practicing in the dark!

Thanks for your input though.

Boner

It sucks honda is not providing the  correct wire harness with the headlight kit. the easiest and cleanest way for u would be to nip off the 12v wire right behind the four pole connector and crimp on a insulated bullet connector then run a chassis ground to the ground point with a ring terminal on the frame side and bullet connector on the headlight side, and put bullet connectors on the headlight harness to mate the headlight to the bike. it would essentially be plugged in the same as the kill switch but in a different place. if u want to play around at night the headlight is very bright and illuminates the way very well. 

Take a look at page 5 of this manual 2017 Race Replica Kit

The HEADLIGHT WIRING WITH SWITCH P.N. 32101-REP-L30 gives you the headlight wiring, headlight switch, and the open connector for your map switch.

Is that what you're looking for? If so, should be able to order from an EU or UK Honda parts dealer.

Edited by sportsawyer

Hi sportsawyer, 

Thanks for adding in this thread the correct part number headlight wiring to address the problem I ran into installing the headlight and map switch to my 2015 . I had a feeling honda had to have made a new harness by now but I hadn't looked at any new parts lists. Im sure this will help boner get his headlight on. 

Best regards,

Maxwell